does anyone have any bloods here - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
monitorman85
does anyone have any bloods here

hi i just got my first blood but im not sure what he/she is.the guy i got him/her from said that it was a borneo blood which i could tell it isnt cause its red and not black.after that he said it was a malaysan blood is there any way of telling for sure and are sumatran and malaysan bloods the same.here is a pic of him/her let me know what you think and how big should i be expecting it to get im hoping atleast 6ft but i dont think that big just hoping.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
hhmoore
Well, your logic is incorrect (because Borneos aren't black), but I agree that that pic does not look like a Borneo. Once upon a time, Malaysians and Sumatrans were considered different subspecies...now they're not. If you aren't sure where it is from (and obviously you aren't), you should just call it a blood python. Not knowing all the specifics about the snake, it is hard to say how big it will get - but 5 to 6 ft is a good average. The females, of course, get larger than the males

Old 01-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Double "D" Reptiles
I would say that with this picture it looks more like a Malaysian than a Borneo, but that's only a 60/40 thing due to the reflection on the glass and uncertainty about current age and size. I've seen darker borneos and lighter malays, so that's not always a great telling point either. The only absolute certainty is that it's not a Sumatran which is often called the "black" blood. Worse yet is that I can't think of anyone closer to your home that might be able to give an educated answer in person. You might try looking around Dave and Tracey Barker's website (www.vpi.com) as a few years ago they were considered part of the world's most noted authorities on blood pythons (I know their info was helpful to me when I kept a couple of Malaysians for a while before getting a great trade offer that I took.) If I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
monitorman85
alright thanks for helping out.i thought the borneos were the black short tail ones and not the sumatran oh well i guess it realy doesnt matter.yeah that pic is a little hard to tell i will get some better ones after he/she sheds.so you do think its possible for him/her to get 6ft i guess sense they dont realy stop growing its possible for them to get bigger but proble not much.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double "D" Reptiles
The only absolute certainty is that it's not a Sumatran which is often called the "black" blood. .
I'll agree that it is not a Sumatran STP (short tailed python), but it could very well be a Sumatran (red) blood. (see pics)
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
monitorman85
yeah i thibk thats what it is it looks just like mine thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
hhmoore
It could just as easily be a Malaysian...its not as if most people can just look at them and accurately tell the difference. Like I said before - IF you don't know for certain where it is from, you are better off just calling it a red blood.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
monitorman85
yeah i aggree to just call it a red blood.do you know how much it would cost to get it probed to see what sex it is for sure.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
hhmoore
In Missouri? lol. nope...well, not specifically, anyway. Try a local herp group, or maybe a vet that deals with reptiles. But be advised: bloods are probably one of the easiest pythons to incorrectly sex.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Art Klass
Quote:
In Missouri? lol. nope...well, not specifically, anyway. Try a local herp group, or maybe a vet that deals with reptiles. But be advised: bloods are probably one of the easiest pythons to incorrectly sex.
Steven, I live in Springfield. Maybe you would like to get together sometime and probe your blood. Let me know. Art

Harold, I'm not familiar with the scale count for probing bloods. What should I look for?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!