Anyone breed Rankins Dragons??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
hanoverherps
Anyone breed Rankins Dragons???

Hi,
We have a 3.6 group of Rankins. They are close to 1 1/2 yrs old and ready to practice parenting! LOL... Does anyone hear have suggestions on set-ups, grouping, etc...? We breed Beardies and have great succes, and were just looking for other peoples' opinions on breeding the Rankins.
Thanks for your time to anyone who may reply...

Bob

Old 01-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
Uffern
Personally, I wouldn't do anything different from the vitticeps setup. This isn't experience with Rankins talking, though, just an opinion. I turned down the chance to breed Rankins, as I simply didn't have the space at the time.

Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
Pennebaker
We breed Rankins!
I would probably break that group into two 1.2 2.4 and see how that works. Some males get along better than others. Or if you have a bunch of different bloodlines, if you could get 3 unrelated groups going, buyers would be very happy (a lot of people looking for pairs).
Our set ups are similar to beardies, but less climbing space (height), more soil than sand, big water area for soaking, less heat. I set up the lay areas in the enclosures. Similar to beardies. I had one female this year lay 6 clutches of 25-28 eggs!
They are very popular.
The one catch with rankins that I found is that the babies need to be separated out more and more--and much more than beardies. They seem to thrive fine together for 3 weeks, then you have to keep separating them out or a couple start to stress and have issues. That has just been my experience. So have a lot of baby tubs on hand. Our babies also seemed to prefer glass.
Hope that helps.
Dana

Old 01-30-2003, 10:32 PM   #4
hanoverherps
Thanks guys!

Thank you both for replying! I'll give what you suggested a try Dana, as it was kind of what we were thinking. Thanks also for the set-up tips as well! Hopefully these guys will produce for us this year as we can't wait to see the babies. My wife loves them, their her favorites. It's neat how they're sooo much like beardeds, but also sooo different as well. (figure that one out?) We've had alot of fun raising them and really look forward to working with them as well.
Thanks again!
Bob

Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
sschind
Dana,

what size enclosure do you have for your groups. I have had my 1.2 together for a long time and though the females look fat they never seem to lay their eggs. from the way it sounds I might have it too hot and dry though.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!