Adenovirus questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
willows chelle
Adenovirus questions

Hello!

I am just curious how many breeders are actually testing their stock before selling now since this virus wiped out so many beardies.

I know it is old news to most, however, as an owner of just one beardie, I am reluctant to even think of getting another dragon due to the virus running so rampant.

Is there anyone out there that would recommend a bearded dragon breeder who is careful about screening his stock? I am not worried about a guarantee, I am terrified to get my fat old man dragon sick!

I see plenty of dragon breeders out there flashing their gorgeous lizards all over, but very few even mention the virus, and the ones that do mention it are either not selling b/c of it, OR they are just stating that they do not test for it, so tough luck if the new dragon they send you ends up making your other lizards sick.

BTW, I would quarrentine, but I have heard enough horror stories to know its better to just avoid it all together!.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
If you type in the search area "adenovirus" youll see a bunch of related threads, or threads in which it is mentioned.

there are a couple large ones that have quite a bit of information on it.

And of course, here - http://www.thepats.info/

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
willows chelle
That link just makes me more concerned. The three breeders listed either have positive dragons in their breeding stock or they are not testing.

Is there not even one breeder who does test and sell adeno negative dragons this year?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
From what i have gathered so far from my readings here, and other places, there are a good number of people with the opinion that its not a big deal. I feel that its an important issue, and people should know the information, and be able to see both sides of the story.

Not Everyone is like that, and there are a bunch here who feel strongly about the subject as i do. Hopefully they will respond and help you out some more!!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by willows chelle
That link just makes me more concerned. The three breeders listed either have positive dragons in their breeding stock or they are not testing.

Is there not even one breeder who does test and sell adeno negative dragons this year?
Michelle-

Yes, there are very few breeders who are testing and being public about the results. There are, however, people who are testing prior to breeding, but are NOT being public, for understandable reasons. Whether or not they are being public about their breeding/testing activities, Tracey would know who they are.

If Tracey can't help you find someone who is testing and is currently breeding, and you are still interesting in purchasing a new beardie, my best advice is to go with someone who has had a closed colony for many years, but may not necessarily be testing, and even then, follow very strict quarantine once the new beardie arrives. The one individual that I know of who's had a closed colony for a long time is Bert of Agama International.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
willows chelle
Hi Tere,

It is good to see you. I don't know if you remember me or not, I had the big male frillie we emailed back and forth about last year.

I was sad to hear of how the virus attacked your beardies, but I am encouraged by your honesty and appropriate handling of the situation.

I think I would rather wait and purchase one from you all once your back up and running. Your character under pressure spoke volumes.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Tere Salazar
Of course I remember you, Michelle! It's great to see you, too! I've pretty much decided not to get into Adenovirus discussions any more (as I'm sure everyone will understand), but when I saw who was asking...well, you know.

I appreciate your kind words more than you will ever know.

Unfortunately, barring some major miracle, we won't be breeding anymore, whatsoever. This virus has been just devastating to us. To me, it's still like this all happened yesterday, and it's been over a year since we got our test results back.

I have faith that if you talk to Tracey, you'll be able to find yourself an Adeno negative dragon to bring into your family. Just remember, quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
willows chelle
Hi Tere,

I did email Tracey, so we will see what she has to say.

I am disappointed to hear that you are done. I cannot pretend to know how hard all of this has been on you as well as other reputable breeders.

I think its time to start climbing out of your "personal hell" and greet the world again.

xxoo
m

Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by willows chelle
Hi Tere,

I did email Tracey, so we will see what she has to say.

I am disappointed to hear that you are done. I cannot pretend to know how hard all of this has been on you as well as other reputable breeders.

I think its time to start climbing out of your "personal hell" and greet the world again.

xxoo
m
Now, that sounds like a plan! I'm sure Tracey will be able to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
heartmountain
Try offering to pay for it if you're that concerned. That or follow proper quarantine procedures and get the test run yourself after you get it.

I'll admit I really don't know much about the new tests, when I got out of beardies it was still a post mortem thing. Just from a business end though, if you're going to request certain tests be run then expect that it will be reflected in the final price. It's not the breeders responsibility to have a $50 (or whatever it costs) test run and then still sell you the dragon for $40 or whatever it was.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!