Are 24" BD's (German giants) found in their natural habitat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
luvmybd
Are 24" BD's (German giants) found in their natural habitat?

How/who were they developed?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello Rachel,

What do you mean are they found in their natural environment? They are a cross between the Pogona Vitticeps & the Pogona Barbata developed by the Germans a long time ago when it was still legal to export out of Australia.
They have been known to get 22-26 inches in length, & their heads & body structure is very different than a regular Vitticeps or central.
I hope this helps. Maybe a breeder will have more insight for you perhaps.

Tracie

Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
luvmybd
GG

Thanks Tracie, are they considered inbreed?

Do they generally live ~10 years as other BD's? Any health issues vs other BD's?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello Rachel,

Well, some German Giants are still inbred, but the normal morphs tend to be less inbred because color is not being focused on to breed back in.
They can live up to 10 years. As far as I know, they do not have any different types of health problems than a non german giant morph would have.

Tracie

Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
starwarsdad
I have never heard that german giants are a cross between the barbata and vitticeps before. My understanding is that they are full-blooded vittceps bred for size. Do you have any source information on that?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I don't have documentation per say as I am not from Germany where the original german giant morphs were created. That is what a breeder here in the US told me as well as a few breeders overseas.
Centrals do not get quite that large, most of the time. To my understanding, the germans were the ones who took the larger & healthier centrals as well as the larger & healthier easterns out of Australia while the import & export laws were still pretty much non existent, & began working on their breeding in germany. They did not breed for color, but instead, for size.
I do not know if there is any online source. I will see if I can find something on it. I just don't think it was something that the germans documented back then, but I could be wrong. It was just a morph that was created.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!