Bearded dragon help please? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
den77
Bearded dragon help please?

She was digging excessively for a good half hour. But what she's been doing more is going into her hide and clawing at the back of it. I hear her do it ALL THE TIME. What could this mean? Is she just trying to find heat? This is my first beardie...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
den77
Also I realize it's not a great hide but everyting you see in there besides the bucket was got at the pet store. Including the substrate. I just forgot a hide

Old 01-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
angie.h
Hi Denny....beardies sometimes dig just for something to do. It can be from stress [ especially when put in a new home ] or boredom, young dragons have a lot of energy. They may also dig if it's too warm or too cold. Adult females, of course, also dig when they are going to lay eggs. If you only have one basking bulb I doubt she's too hot. You will need to have an accurate way to determine the temps. Basking spot should be about 100-105, the cooler end between 75-85. I would take the bucket out and put in another basking log, one that's taller will allow her to get closer to the heat + UVB if she wants. You can even get one from outside, just put it in a pre-heated 250 degree oven to kill any potential sleeping insects.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
den77
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Hi Denny....beardies sometimes dig just for something to do. It can be from stress [ especially when put in a new home ] or boredom, young dragons have a lot of energy. They may also dig if it's too warm or too cold. Adult females, of course, also dig when they are going to lay eggs. If you only have one basking bulb I doubt she's too hot. You will need to have an accurate way to determine the temps. Basking spot should be about 100-105, the cooler end between 75-85. I would take the bucket out and put in another basking log, one that's taller will allow her to get closer to the heat + UVB if she wants. You can even get one from outside, just put it in a pre-heated 250 degree oven to kill any potential sleeping insects.
Thank you very much. And Ok I'll try that and post the pic

Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
den77
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
So I found the perfect log but my mom doesn't want it in her oven... What do you recommend that I can buy that's cheap?

Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
angie.h
You'd have to check your local stores for sales. Too bad mom won't let you put the log in the oven, it doesn't harm anything as long as you are careful and it's not touching the heating elements. You could probably soak it in very hot soapy water and maybe some vinegar, then rinse well with hot water + let it dry which would take a few days.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #7
den77
Right. Ill see if she'll let me do that. Thanks for your help, Angie.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
angie.h
You're welcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!