Snake's Belly Turning Pink: Is this a bad sign? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Abby
Exclamation Snake's Belly Turning Pink: Is this a bad sign?

Hello everyone,
I just posted a similar thread in the ball python forum, but since it also involves a boa I figured I'd post here as well. I was feeding all of my snakes (4 ball pythons and a boa) and noticed that their bellies are turning pink. I am a bit concerned because I did just change my bedding to aspen (was using Eco Earth coconut bedding) and was wondering if this might have something to do with it. One of the ball's stomach is so pink it almost looks red. This just started today, I put aspen in their cages about 2 days ago. Should I be concerned? I just don't want anything bad to happen to any of them, and I've never seen any of them do this before. Thanks!

Abby

Old 09-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Wilomn
It is a frequent occurance at the onset of the shed cycle.

It may be something else but if they have not been kept in wet or dirty cages and are otherwise outwardly healthy, it's probably just the beginning of a shed cycle.

Is it due to shed soon, with in the next couple o weeks?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Abby
I am hoping it is just the beginning of a shed cycle. I am almost positive that's what it is for 2 of the ball pythons, but the boa and the other ball don't look to be ready to shed. Just pink bellies, no other signs. They did have a small amount of damp bedding in their cages from water bowl tippage, but just in one corner and the cages are very clean so I know it isn't because of that. I have since got the damp bedding out and replaced it with dry. My other ball python does not have a pink belly and she is living in the same bedding, type of tub, and heat/humidity level as the others. I'm probably just freaking out for no reason... I tend to do that when it comes to my little babies :P Like I said before, I just want to make sure nothing bad happens to them. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
If you could post a picture, it may be helpful in letting you know what's going on.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
bob-0
if all the snakes are having a reaction to it r u sure that the mulch is 100% aspen, and doesnt have a little cedar in it? cuz snakes are deathly allergic to cedar. ive never had any of my balls or boas go pink belly before a shed tho, the only time they did that is when i switched them to cypress mulch for a lil while and it only irritated my balls. personally i use news paper, its cheaper, cleaner, and is sure not to harm the snake.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-0 View Post
if all the snakes are having a reaction to it r u sure that the mulch is 100% aspen, and doesnt have a little cedar in it? cuz snakes are deathly allergic to cedar. ive never had any of my balls or boas go pink belly before a shed tho, the only time they did that is when i switched them to cypress mulch for a lil while and it only irritated my balls. personally i use news paper, its cheaper, cleaner, and is sure not to harm the snake.
I was using aspen - now I use newspaper but I realized the pink belly was just a sign of shedding I never noticed it before, although I've had snakes for a long time. Suppose you learn something new every day!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!