Bat's in Backyard - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
JColt
Bat's in Backyard

Have 3 or 4 bats in backyard tree. If you go out around 9:15 when getting dark but still some light they come pretty close to me on back porch.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Herpin Man
I have a lot of bats in my area too. My wife stays inside when they are out.
Once in a great while, one finds its way into the house. Last year, while I was out of town, she had a bat in the house two nights in a row. That made for some interesting phone conversations. Since I wasn't there, she had no choice but to deal with it, which she did- by making my 15 year old daughter catch them.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
JColt
Lol Greg, About 10 years ago my wife was sleeping then started hollering for me. She had light out. She said something making noise in room. I turned on light and bat started going nuts. I never seen my wife get out of bed so quick and nearly ran me over. Finally corralled it and took it outside. Middle of Jan so felt bad. He must have been in attic and somehow made it into the room.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Lucille
Bats are Good Guys, they catch lots of insects. But one might worry about rabid bats if they fly into the house.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
WebSlave
We have a few bats that hang out over the garage. Nether thought to try to video them because of the low light and their moving so quickly.

Wonder what they would do if I launched the drone up among them?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
We have a few bats that hang out over the garage. Nether thought to try to video them because of the low light and their moving so quickly.

Why wonder? Just do it! And post!

Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I'd think the noise would make them avoid it like the plague, but it would be interesting to find out.

We have Fruit Bats here, also known as Flying Foxes. They're huge, and every evening they come out of their roosts to raid our Papaya and Banana trees in large numbers. It's like Gotham City down here at sunset. I'll have to try and photograph a few....

Old 07-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
WebSlave
I actually charged up the batteries for the drone and the controller this afternoon, did an update to the drone's firmware, and even launched straight up just to test things out. Been a while since I've flown the thing. Too early for any bats to be about, I think, but with thunder rumbling to the west and clouds obviously moving fast overhead, I brought it down and scrapped the idea of trying any flying later on in the evening. We never did get any rain out of it, but the wind did pick up a bit, so just as well.

Maybe in the next day or three I'll try this.

But I'm thinking you will be correct. Bats use echolocation so I would imagine a drone would make a hell of a racket to them and they wouldn't want to hang around. I really don't want to scare them away, as they are one of the handful of native wildlife that doesn't seem to be a pest lately.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Randall Turner
I love seeing bats out at dusk. I've been debating putting some bat boxes up in the back yard to try to lure some in.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
WebSlave
Been raining every evening, so no chance to take the drone up for a flight. Probably would be pure luck to catch a bat or two in flight any way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!