Importers/collectors, beaware of Florida's new laws! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
lisa37
Warning! Importers/collectors, beaware of Florida's new laws!

Hi guys,

My name is Lisa Pardus. I have three ball pythons, a green iguana, and a rat snake my son caught in our home. I am involved in environmental issues in the state of Florida.

Back in August, I attended a meeting of the Blue Ribbon Panel. They were working on a management plan for the "Future of Florida's Forests". The state was working on a 25-year plan for Florida's Forests. Now, what does this have to do with you all? Simple.

During the discussion, the panel agreed that the Ag. Commissioner should have a tighter reign on imported exotic species. Two years ago, I was worried that owners would be turning their Anacondas loose in our canals and waterways and would bring about knee-jerk legislation. Last Sept./Oct. a story ran about a boa that ate an Alligator. That got everyone upset about "giant" snake species in our state giving those who needed an excuse to start legislating exotics.

Today, I attended the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) meeting in Gainesville. The subject of exotic species was brought up. The FWC is preparing a legislative bill (that has two sponsors) that will require owners of venomous reptiles, monitor lizards, giant snake breeds, etc. to purchase a license for $100.00 (one flat fee no matter how many of these species you have) among other regulations if you choose to own any of these "dangerous" exotics.

This, along with decision of the Panel in August should be a wake-up call to importers and even breeders. That is why I put this in this thread. If it needs moved, please move it.

I will be coming back here to help answer questions if I can, or steer you to whom you should ask.

There was someone at the meeting named Eugene from Orlando who claimed to represent some of the Reptile business in this state. He was talking about how there is a need for legislation and regulations of this industry. Please take notice and be aware of what is going on.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
lisa37
I am not sure how to edit. I said it was a boa that ate the alligator, it was a python. Sorry for the mistake. I got two hours sleep last night and have the meeting all day tomorrow to attend as well.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Karen Hulvey
You were worried about loose anacondas two years ago? Where have you been? Exotic species in Florida didn't just spring up in the past year. They have been growing in numbers and different species in at least the last five or more years. I know this and I don't even live in Florida.

Venomous reptiles are already regulated in Florida. If the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) doesn't already know about this, then that would be scary.

I don't see anything wrong with a $100 fee to keep the above mentioned species. Maybe it will keep some of the morons who are releasing these animals from getting them in the first place.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
lisa37
There is more to it than just the fee.....you have to watch every meeting, follow what is being said in the different meetings by whom. Things are worded in different ways, depending on what government group the folks who want to eliminate this industry are talking to on that day....for example, things were said in the Blue Ribbon Panel to the Division of Forestry in a different way than they were said at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

If I said the fee itself is wrong, I apologize. That was not the point. The point is this industry is going to be attacked from many different fronts and if you are not willing to attend all the different meetings, you will lose.

Just FYI.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
How is someone in Missouri supposed to attend these meetings?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
ffollett
Lisa please email me any other info you may have on this. fred@hissnhers.com
thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!