getting a BD mith MBD - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
dragongirl6
getting a BD mith MBD

By the way, hi everyone! New to fauna, used to be on RZ.

Anyway, I am getting a bearded dragon tomorrow from someone on craigslist who really just has no idea how to care for her and she, based on the pictures, is definitely showing signs of MBD. I will obviously take her to the vet and increase her calcium intake, but are there any extra suggestions? I am told she is eating well, and though these people really don't know how to take care of her they totally agreed when I told them what was probably wrong with her and decided to give her to me for free when I told them how much money I would probably have to spend on her vet visits, etc.

They took off the photo of her because they didn't want to have a sick beardie for sale and they decided to just give her to me, so I'll post photos when I get her tomorrow.

Anyway, any extra suggestions? Do you think she'll be ok in a 29 gallon until monday (she's been in a 15)?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
dragongirl6
Ok here she is. Apparently she is blue because they had blue sand in there before (???).

Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Craigh
Aww poor think......... Hey Dragongirl 16

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
GottaLuvHerps
hey dragongirl! nice to see you here!
keep her off of sand. get her some good baths. make sure she has a 10.0 uvb bulb, and dust every feeding with plain calcium powder. get her outside if temps allow too. she should be fine in a 29 for a short time, but try to get her into a 40 (or bigger) or a good sized tub asap. the vet visit of course. another thing i have found useful (if she will drink from a bowl of water) is that liquid calcium you can put into the water. i put a drop of 2 into every small bowl of water for my leos on a daily basis, along with the dusting.
keep us updated! im glad to see that the owners were at least responsible and kind enough to give her to a good home.
kelly

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Beardiepal
Welcome Dragongirl6

Kelly gave you some good advice. She is lucky to have found you...the beardie I mean, LOL... Do you know how old she is? Take good care Beth

Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Craigh
I don't think Dragongirl needs help. She is one of the smartest 16 year old... Not saying your advice is bad or anything. But I have watch her help so many others. Her knowledge and loving nature is unremarkable... She is going to make a great Vet or anything she puts her mind to... BTW Hey Beth and Kelly Plus she is the newest member of the I been Banned for sticking up for what's best for the animals club......

Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
GottaLuvHerps
craig, i FULLY agree. dragongirl is one of the best we had over "there" and im glad she is over here now. i was just spitting out some basics, as i know sometimes when dealing with rescues it can seem tougher. just a little reminder.

dragongirl, what happened to you on RZ? PM me or email me at kellykordek@gmail.com. id love to hear this story!

kelly

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
dragongirl6
She was just dropped off an hour ago. Of COURSE she is off sand! I put some paper towels down for her and she is soooo happy to be warm! She has a reptiglo 8.0 UVB until I go to work this afternoon when I will pick up a digital therm, a reptisun 10, and some more small crickets. My adult female is very ticked off at me for stealing her light : ) but I think she will survive a few hours lol.

She is WAY smaller than she looks in the photos. She is ten months old!! And fits on my pointer finger.

I don't like to use the calcium water stuff because bds rarely drink from a dish anyway and it is too hard to monitor how much calcium she is actually getting (plus, most of them have vit. d3 which is great for leos but not so much for beardies).

Anyway, a bigger tank at this point would actually be a bad idea because she is so tiny and still needs to learn how to catch food. She will, of course, be moved into a 75 gallon when she is big enough to find a home.

Apparently she was housed with her brother until four months ago when the cat ripped through the cage and took him and he was much bigger. She also said that this one actually burmated for two months when she was just a baby! That can't be good...

Anyway, she looks pretty happy. I will post more pictures later.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
dragongirl6
whoa. totally missed the whole second page of replies (hate being a newb lol).

Thanks!! I try : )

Anyway, I moved the fosters to the basement because my room was getting WAY too crowded and she ate twenty crickets and a whole salad drenched in calcium powder! Yay! She is SOOO happy to be warm, it's crazy.

I just switched the 8.0 for the 10.0 so we should see some improvements soon. I hope she poops! Also, the photos made her look like she had MBD, but I think she was lethargic and sprawled out just because she was cold, she's running around like crazy now.

I have her a soak, but I can't get the darn blue stuff off! What is it? She said it was from the blue sand they were using...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Beardiepal
Probably the sand...its awful stuff...she will be the most happiest, most magnificent dragon...because she has been rescued by you. You are exceptional my dear, you are what every mom wished they had out of their 16 year olds...you have passion & compassion...what else is more important? Love you Anna, Beth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!