Alligator snapper brumation??.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
maidenschmidt
Alligator snapper brumation??....

Do these guys hibernate out of water? Mine has recently started staying on dry land and i am wondering if this is normal or a sign of something else. He is a pink skin and about 2 years old. His eating seems to have slowed a bit also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
zookeeperfrank
Hello,

Brumation is Underwater...those I've kept at the Bx Zoo, over many years, have remained active when kept warm. However, others do slow down even if warm.

If the skin is an unusual color, best to check all water quality parameters and do a water change...however, I've not known them to leave the water even when ammonia levels were high. However, very high levels do cause skin irritation/discoloration in amphibs, some softshells; alligator snapper skin may be sensitive in this regard. Some species will leave if water is too cool (or obviously, too warm) but this is rare. Wild individuals bask in order to drive off leeches; they also leave the water due to aggression or when seeking a nest site. Other aquatic species will bask when afflicted by skin problems - fungi, etc. Let me know if you need help in locating a vet, in order to check for skin problems. You might enjoy - The alligator snapper pictured in this article of mine is 205 lbs, the common snapper (top photo) is 70+ lbs. Best, Frank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!