Big snakes with big problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
TahoeSnakes
Question Big snakes with big problems

Today I soaked and took off some more unshedded skin from two Emerald Boas I recently rescued. They were neglected for a month after the owner died and now I am trying to make them picture perfect again. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.

A 7'-8' Redtail just ate and I will be putting him back with his mate after this.

I recently found out some of the Hog Islands I rescued had some blood infection. It can be fungal or bacterial. I am going to the Vet but that will unfortunately take 1-2 weeks. Symptoms that keep reoccurring are mouth rot and lung infections. I have the heat of the cages quite hi and humidity is dry (for the redtails and hog islands, the tree boas are getting misted several times a day) The winter was hard for them being up here in Tahoe and having to struggle through power outages, however there was some sickness i received them with and it spread to a few other snakes. So now I am constantly spraying and rinsing chlorihexadine solution or alcohol to clean everything all the time. Sanitizing cages once a week and soaking snakes in 80 degree water for an hour or so every week. LET ME KNOW HOW GOOD OR BAD THIS SOUNDS TO ANY OF YOU...

I have some Flagyl but not enough for all snakes. Also have
Tylan
Ciprofloxacin

have dosage on all but not frequency for Tylan. So if anyone can tell me how often I want to give tylan over a 10- 60 day period i would most appreciate it. And how long should I give the flagyl for???

Thanks for listening and any time you spend giving advise.
take care and enjoy
jose

Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Metachrosis
If your attempting to cook the RI out you need the humidity up around 60-65%
You get that lung tissue dried out and they'll crash on you pretty quick
Raise the soaking water temp up to at least 90*F as well

First and for most you need a qualified snake Vet,not one of the generic DVM's
Most of which are worst then getting advise from public forums.

Best of Luck with it!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
TahoeSnakes
Thumbs up thanks

The problem is getting to a proper reptile vet. But I know one no too far away and I will make it soon.

thanks for the temp advise. I will do that now.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Helenthereef
How did they get on? Sounds like you had a whole plateful land on your lap.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!