I need some advice about mite treatment - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
hhmoore
With all the posts about Nix here, you HAD to drag one from another forum, didn't you, lol.

I'm curious about your statement that Nix is by far the best. Have you used Provent-A-Mite? Black Knight? BKII? RID? Equate bedding spray? Do you have any actual comparison data to offer that shows WHY Nix is best, or evidence of failings of the other products? I'm not disputing that Nix works; but if I were looking at the option of Nix vs PAM (I've never used either product, btw), there are pros and cons for both. Nix is cheaper, PAM is easier and less time consuming. If one has a couple of snakes, the low cost of Nix might justify the hassle....but as the number of snakes goes up, PAM's ease of use outweighs the higher cost (and that can goes a loooooong way).

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
born2ride#56
Mites are aggressive so you need to be very aggressive! I bought a frilled from LLL acouple yrs ago & I didnt know what a mite was til i found em on my frilled! There preaty nasty & breed like crazy!!! I tried it all! Sprays proventamite some other stuff from petco & none of it realy had an effect finally buckled down & took control! I clean the cages 2 times a day & only used pure white paper towels so that way I could get them gone! Soaked the frilled 3 times a day for a week & next thing you know they went from almost kiliing the frilled to a happy healthy frilled within 2 weeks! Gained weigh & started growing like crazy once I got them all gone! Hope you get it takein care of! I also put any beding I buy from stores in the freezer for 24hours just to make shure nothing comes from it! News paper is just way easier to clean IMO thou. GL again

Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Jrod24
Ok sorry for the bold statement but My opinion from using different types of methods Nix is the best. And Nix works good so why mess with something that works. I have used Provent-a-mite and it works but smells bad and nix has no fragerence. If I ever got mites again I would chose Nix over (PAM). And talking about PAM easy use, I feel that Nix is just as easy to use all you do is add water.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
SPJ
I only use Provent a Mite. Works great and it's easy. I like easy. Any new substrate gets treated as a precaution and the QT cage gets treated before a new arrival goes in it. Quick to use and works great as a preventative. Just don't forget you pretreated a tub holding all the extra substrate and grab some out of it when you change the bedding in a T's enclosure. It really does last a while. You'll end up with a dead T.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod24 View Post
Ok sorry for the bold statement but My opinion from using different types of methods Nix is the best. And Nix works good so why mess with something that works. I have used Provent-a-mite and it works but smells bad and nix has no fragerence. If I ever got mites again I would chose Nix over (PAM). And talking about PAM easy use, I feel that Nix is just as easy to use all you do is add water.
Having never used PAM, I was unaware of the smell; but (from what I've read) Nix has its drawbacks, too. Mixing, mess, and possibly a danger to the reptile (this may be relative to user technique). Also, depending on the quantity of animals you are dealing with, having to individually treat each animal and it's enclosure can be a big deal. I'm not trying to dissuade you - you can use whatever product that you want...but I sometimes take issue with people saying that one way is the best (if it is stated as their opinion, or based on their experience, I'm less likely to challenge it; but I may offer an opposing view if I have one).

Going back to PAM for a moment - I don't remember hearing complaints about the smell before. Steve, I know you've used it, what is your opinion. Anybody else? I've used Equate Bedding Spray and, while it has an odor, I wouldn't say that it is anywhere near bad (And I've sprayed it fairly heavily on the outside of racks, carpet, and floor surfaces - that, btw, would be another drawback of Nix...lack of ease in treating surrounding areas)

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Focal
PAM has a slight odor but you are suppose to spray and let dry before you introduce the snake. Doing this outside helps with the smell and prevents breathing in stuff you probably shouldn't inhale, IMO. My brother did one treatment in his collection and we haven't seen mites in a couple months now.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
George J. Ward
Hey there! Here is another method that works well.The no pest strips work well and they last for months. If you get one,wear rubber gloves take the strip out of the pack,using a pair of sharp scissors cut a small chunk off put the rest in a ziplock baggie it will keep it's potentcy that way. Put the small piece in the housing unit,remove the water bowl while pest strip piece is in there.Leave in for 24hrs. take it out for 1-2 days and then repeat the process.Make sure if you touch that stuff to wash your hands thouroughly!!Also it is good practice to soak the snake for 20-30min.clean the inclosure yes use newspaper for your substrate while treating then place animal and product in the enclosure and this alsoworks well after the snake sheds,thats when the majority of your mites will come off and assists your goals of being mite free. I hope that this will help.I have been working in the herps field for over 30 years and I am one of the leading introduced exotic experts here in S.Fla. Any additional info,reach me @ georgeward7416@yahoo.com or feel free to call@(772-240-3456)

Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
Focal
@George. Do you keep the snake in there with the strip? If you don't want it to touch your skin why would it be ok for the snake to touch it? Not picking at your idea, just seeing if I misunderstood it.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
George J. Ward
No,you did not misunderstand. We have permiable skin the snakes don't. Yes you put it in with the snake.If the snake has the mites and the tank does not,yes you have to have the snake in contact with the strip.I have worked for a couple of the largest import/exporters here and have been in the field forever. Myself and many otheres use this method,it sure beats using 7-dust,which is another aalternative. The strips seem to be the most effective though. I also have never had a death contributed to the use of this product. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation. This stuff cannot be contained,too much intake can and will cause respiratory and neurological complications.24hrs.in out 2-3days out repeat 24hrs. Check cage for dead mites and the amount that are in the enclosure. That way you can tell how bad the infestation is or was. Anything else I can help with feel free to call (772-240-3456) Thanx for asking for the advice I like to help other repitle lovers.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
RickS
Hi George. I just have a question. Those pest strips are sticky, right? That's how the bugs and dirt, dust, pet hair, etc stick to them, correct? Have you ever seen a picture of a snake after it has wrapped itself in tape? It is not a pretty picture, and I am sure that it doesn't feel good to the snake.

I would much rather spend the money on spray specifically designed for snakes and/or something like Equate if necessary than risk my snakes, which are my pets and very dear to me, with something that is so tape-like. This is just my opinion and I hope I do not come off as rude, as that is not my intention.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!