Feeding day blues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
hhmoore
Feeding day blues

Otherwise known as the #1 reason not to skip a bullsnake's feeding day (especially one that just laid eggs 7 weeks ago).

I know how sick y'all are, so I took some pics...including the "money shot"
(my apologies for not getting a good view of the mess on the lower side of my hand - but its hard to hold the camera with my left hand and get a decent shot, lol. I took two that showed the full bite, but they were blurry)
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Good God Harald, did you roll around in dead rats before taking her out?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
NOM!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
hhmoore
lol, I had been handling rats, yes...not that it would have mattered. She pushed the edge of the lid up and was attached before I had the tub all the way off the shelf. If I am late with food, she comes out mouth open UNLESS I manage to get the lid off all at once...then she takes the time to figure out if there is anything edible around before launching.
I think I'm in for trouble when I switch her to a lidless rack

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
lol, I had been handling rats, yes...not that it would have mattered. She pushed the edge of the lid up and was attached before I had the tub all the way off the shelf. If I am late with food, she comes out mouth open UNLESS I manage to get the lid off all at once...then she takes the time to figure out if there is anything edible around before launching.
I think I'm in for trouble when I switch her to a lidless rack

LMAO youll have to use a Garbage can lid as a shield just to feed her!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
KJUN
My worst bite wasn't from my Argentine boas - it was from a giant "Trumbower" snow bullsnake. It got me on the neck RIGHT under the chin. (You know, that spot that hurts like heck and never stops bleeding when you cut it shaving!) I grabbed it to stop him from pulling, and he coiled around that arm, so I started uncoiling him with the other hand. Next thing I knew, I was blinded with tears from my eyes involuntarily watering up (hey - that's a sensitive spot!), I had a snake on my neck, I was gripping him by the neck and the midbody, and he was coiled around BOTH of my hands so that I couldn't let go or move him. It was like a Chinese finger "cuffs" got combined with mouse snake traps and increased to 6.5' in length. It took 10 minutes for my wife to stop laughing enough to give me a hand. By then, I have more blood on my shirt than when that 8' gator bit me.......lol.

Go ahead. Laugh. I give you all permission. Of course, I won't tell on my good buddy that got bitten on just the cartilage on the right side of his nose.
KJ

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
LMAO youll have to use a Garbage can lid as a shield just to feed her!
I try to lead with a rat...but since she's already launched, she misses a lot (like today). One of my growers is getting the same way...I was doing some feeding in that room today, and she was practically frothing at the mouth trying to get at those rats (they were way too big for her, or I would have just given her one). Every time I turned in her direction, or got within 2 ft of her box, she would hit the tub and bump along the upper edge - mouth open - til she fell back down. I've got the camera batteries recharging, so I'll get her later tonite....(she's not going to bite me, though - she just gets excited at feeding time) talk about jinxing myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN
I grabbed it to snot him from pulling, and he coiled around that arm, so I started uncoiling him with the other hand. Next thing I knew, I was blinded with tears from my eyes involuntarily watering up
That's because when you start uncoiling them, they give a devilish little twist that makes it feel like they are ripping the skin right off. HOW COME YOU DIDN"T GET PICTURES OF THAT, lol.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
hhmoore
KJ, the twist explanation was for the ones that haven't experienced it, lol

Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
hhmoore
Alicia - you think I should alert Deb to this thread? lol
You know how she is about getting bitten...and she just got that snow bull. I bet she'd accuse me of setting her up.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Alicia - you think I should alert Deb to this thread? lol
You know how she is about getting bitten...and she just got that snow bull. I bet she'd accuse me of setting her up.

LMAO let her stumble upon it one day, when hers is just as big

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!