A Couple of Scots Herps. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
ErikPaterson
A Couple of Scots Herps.

Hello all,
Just thought I'd share a few photos of our Native Scots herps. Even though you can count all of our native species on your fingers, unless I'm forgetting one...
Anyways, finding all your local species in one day can be quite easy in Scotland, that's for sure!

Lets start with my personal favourite, the Common Toad, Bufo bufo.
A pair in amplexus in the River Calder.

Another pair in amplexus at a 'Toads on Roads' site I do 'Toad Patrolling' at in the Spring.

A Female Common (or Viviparous) Lizard, Zootoca vivipara at a Raised Peat Bog Site I do volunteering at.

Our only Native Frog in Scotland, the Common frog, Rana temporaria.

Yeah, field herping wise nothing spectacular but I like 'em haha!
may dig out my old Adder Photos, they should be kicking about somewhere although they aren't that good anyway.

Hope you like,
Erik

Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
WJS Herps
Very nice pics Erik!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Hi Erik,

Nice to have a contributor from the UK!

I'd love to see your old adder pics - I'm from Lancashire and I remember slow worms with great affection - do you get them much in your area?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
ErikPaterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS Herps View Post
Very nice pics Erik!
Thanks William, I do love a bit of field herping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Hi Erik,

Nice to have a contributor from the UK!

I'd love to see your old adder pics - I'm from Lancashire and I remember slow worms with great affection - do you get them much in your area?
Hi Helen, thanks!
there's an old record for about 10 miles from my town, about 20 years old, taken in the year of my birth but there have been none since. Usually have to go a bit further south near Dumfries or up to Lomond & The Trossachs although I am sure they must be about here somewhere!
Here's a couple of my older photos, this one is from August 16th 2006, a female near Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway.

She came pretty close to me.

And this one of a male photographed in early 2009 again near Newton Stewart.

Hope ya like!
Really need to get back there & find some with my Canon, would love to get some nice, clear good quality images of them!
Erik

Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Very nice!

I had a friend who was always finding slow worms in the moors behind Lancaster - we used to wear them as living jewellry (slow worms, not adders....) - I remember golden and shiny bronze.

never saw a live adder though.....

Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
ErikPaterson
Thanks! Yesterday was actually the 5th anniversary of my first time photographing an Adder, seeing & photographing a Viviparous lizard & seeing, photographing & holding a Slow Worm.
Good times.

Yeah, I've only ever seen 5 (possibly 6) in all the time I've been looking for them, very elusive, and only the 1 ever live Slow Worm sadly!

Gorgeous animals for sure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!