Wanting to get into Balls, but wife will not allow. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
clintdowns
Wanting to get into Balls, but wife will not allow.

Hello, My name is Clint Downs. I live in Iowa Park, TX. I am in the Airforce here in Wichita Falls and I am an instructor here. I have had a couple different types of reptiles. I have had bearded dragons and leopard geckos. I did not get into them as much as I would have liked. There was just really nothing that reached out and grabbed me. I liked them very well but not as much as I loved my Red Tail Boa. I had one of these about 6 years ago before I met my wife. I recieved it from a pet store in Boise Idaho. I had it for about 3 weeks and then he passed. I came home from work one day and he was dead. Not really sure why other than some other reptile people said that it could have been sick, or had mites from the pet store. I was doing everything I was suppose to. I really enjoyed having the snake and handling him. About 9 months ago I had to take my wife to the OKC airport, while waiting for her I stopped in and visited with New Shed Serpents. I will say that he was about the nicest person I have ever met with the Ball pythons. I fell in love with these snakes. He took me into the snake area and showed me everything that he had. He answered every question that I had and just made me feel at home. So I guess the real question here is, How do I make my wife understand that ball pythons will not hurt her. She is terrified of snakes for some reasona nd litterally told me that if I got a snake and moved it into the house then she would move out. I really do not think that it has to be to that extreme. Can anyone out there help me out. I have been looking at Ball Morphs and snakes for over a year now and would love to get into them. I have also spoke with Bill at Regal Evolutions and he is one hell of a nice guy as well. It seems to me everyone that I have spoken to in the Ball industry just wants to teach people and help them out all they can. I love that. But I could never get into this if my wife will not allow a snake in the house. COULD ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ISSUE, MAYBE SOME OTHER PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD BEFORE.

Thanks So much

Clint Downs

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
hisshers
First, thank you for your service! Secondly, have you tried taking her to a reptile show or store and let her get used to them...she may even see one she thinks is pretty! I have also seen success with guys who also investigated and demonstrated the safety and difficulty for escape in various enclosures.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Morelia4life
Hello Clint. Let me just say first, thank you for your service. Anyways back to your question. When I first got with my fiance, she hated snakes. She thought they were slimy, evil creatures and she wanted nothing to do with them. Well after about 6 months of me constantly saying I want a carpet python over and over again and educating her about snakes, I got my carpet python. When I first got him, he was super aggressive and it didn't help her with her fear of snakes but slowly she started coming around to him. Well I traded him about a month ago for a pair of spotted pythons and now she handles the spotted pythons all the time and she wants leopard geckos and more snakes. I think when it comes to getting people to accept snakes and learning how to like them, it is all about education. If you educate people in something that they fear and show them that their is nothing to fear, it helps them over come their fear.

Just try to show her that snakes aren't evil or whatever she may think about them. Start her off with a species that isn't really aggressive such as a ball python. They are usually docile snakes but like any snake, they can bite and there are some aggressive individuals out there. I have always said that snakes are like people, sometimes they have bad days and sometimes they have good days. I myself am not a ball python person, so I don't know anything about the different morphs but there is a ton of people on here that I am sure will help you with your questions. I hope this helps you. Just remember that education is the key.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
clintdowns
Thanks you two. I mentioned to her last night that they are having a reptile show in OKC on the 25 and 26. First thing out of her mouth was I don't wanna go up there and walk around see all those nasty things. I told her that they were not nasty and there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. I think I have me a tough on my hands when it comes to showing her that snakes are not out to get you.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
hisshers
Well Clint,
Sounds like you have yourself a feisty WC 0.1.0 there! Gentle persistence is key. Maybe starting with something even smaller than a ball python would help? A small gentle species she can watch and learn from...

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
clintdowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisshers View Post
Well Clint,
Sounds like you have yourself a feisty WC 0.1.0 there! Gentle persistence is key. Maybe starting with something even smaller than a ball python would help? A small gentle species she can watch and learn from...
Ok, do you have any pointers for that???

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
hisshers
Does anything else interest you? Rubber boas? Smaller rosy boas? Black Milk Snakes get longer but are beautiful and gentle and she could watch them change from a banded colorful snake to pure black beauties!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Focal
Divorce!!!

Just kidding, sort of.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Divorce!!!
Just kidding, sort of.
You can't expect someone to be "cool" with something like this after the fact, necessarily... I mean, if he'd had a room full of snakes when they first met, fine, she's got no excuses, but in a situation where a partner in a solidified relationship TAKES UP an interest in snakes/creepies... well, the burden is on the one taking up the interest. They don't get to be offended when the other partner isn't automatically cool with it.

I started with 2 tiny baby Scolopendra heros from a reptile show when I first got interested in keeping invertebrates again... those died quickly since I was a noob, and my wife felt bad for me se I got a few more... those lived, and once she saw the elaborate locking enclosures I made for them, realize the chance of escape was zero, and realized that I was genuinely interested, she said "get what you like, but the first escape they all get sold". I agreed, and I haven't had an escape these 8 years. The snakes she actually kind of likes, but I keep all my critters in a separate room downstairs so it's not like she has to see them if she doesn't want to.

Be patient... I think going to a reptile show is a great idea. Maybe even a pet store. Ask her why she hates them so much, maybe there was a traumatic childhood event?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Focal
I kid! I kid!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!