New Member! About to get my first Snake! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
amart170
Talking New Member! About to get my first Snake!

Hi! My name is Addison and I have recently started getting into snakes! I used to help around with my High School Science class with their snake handling and I have decided to get my own snake!

I am currently set up for a corn snake and I am planning on going to a local Expo that will be in about two weeks!

Although I have a little experience with handling snakes I am completely new to owning my own. So any advice for first-time snake owners would be appreciated!

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Robert Walker
A corn snake is a perfect starter snake, great choice.

Good luck and welcome to Fauna Addison.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
bcr229

For a corn/rat snake I would strongly suggest an escape-proof enclosure as they are often little Houdini's.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Welcome Addison.

A corn snake is a great choice for a first snake. Why not post some photos in the corn and rat snake discussion forum once you have him or her (this is also a good place to ask cornsnake-specific questions)
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=345

Also you can find good people to buy cornsnakes from in the cornsnakes for sale forum. Check the dealer rating under the sellers name, and click on the BOI button to see if the seller has any good or bad reviews, and your first purchase should be a good one.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=501

Old 10-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
Insomniac101
Welcome!

As others have said, a cornsnake is a great "first" snake! Over many years, I've kept several species, but corns are my favorite. A word of caution though; they are addicting, and one probably won't be enough.

Kathy

Old 10-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
elena
My advice: find out which vendors will be at the show and look them up on the BOI beforehand. That way you'll go to the showed armed with knowledge of the vendors' past dealings.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
amart170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Welcome!

As others have said, a cornsnake is a great "first" snake! Over many years, I've kept several species, but corns are my favorite. A word of caution though; they are addicting, and one probably won't be enough.

Kathy
Yes, i have heard that from a friend of mine who keeps lizards, she must have about 6 by now! They must just be like tattoos, once i got my first one i couldn't wait for my next!

Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
amart170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Welcome Addison.

A corn snake is a great choice for a first snake. Why not post some photos in the corn and rat snake discussion forum once you have him or her (this is also a good place to ask cornsnake-specific questions)
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=345

Also you can find good people to buy cornsnakes from in the cornsnakes for sale forum. Check the dealer rating under the sellers name, and click on the BOI button to see if the seller has any good or bad reviews, and your first purchase should be a good one.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=501
Thank you so much for this advice! I had first started looking online, but i heard from a friend about the expo and couldn't pass up the chance to get one directly from a breeder in person. And i will definitely post a few pics after the expo!

Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Welcome to Fauna!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!