Bye bye dream - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
keljo
Thanks, will do! Love the balloons, made me smile

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
SamanthaJane13
Oh, Kelly!!

I'm sooo glad you found Ginger!! Give her a big hug for me!!

I agree with checking the cage out well for escape routes!! Reptiles are NOTORIOUS escape artists!!!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Wolfy-hound
Check the vents too, sometimes vents in cages will not be securely places and she might push one loose(assuming it's got vents, I don't know what sort of cage it is).
Otherwise, if you think it could have been a person, then get a lock with a key, and keep the key. It's easier to unlock a cage to handle/feed/clean than to replace a pet that's been turned loose again.

Very glad you found her!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
keljo
Thanks everyone! I have dead bolted my bedroom door until I find out how to put a lock on the cage. The cage is custom big built finished thick wood frame and the vents are small drilled holes, the entrance is in the front of the enclosure, made of plexi glass, held shut by three turning latches.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Utta
So glad you got her back post pics of her cage, im sure some of us will be able to help you get a lock on it

Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
keljo
ok i will

Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
mechnut450
they got those display case locks you could set up then only way to open cage would be break the glass or cut it open. Just not too surewere to get them. If you get somethign like them I make aset of keys and have them put were you can get them in case you lose one and what not. (small lockbox in the room or somthing)

Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
RussellA
Never give up hope.

I had a similar experience with a young Black Milksnake that escaped,(because I was an idiot and didn't lock down her terrarium top after showing her to a friend). She was loose for six weeks in our house. We didn't know if she had escaped to the outside or not, but we would occasionally hear sounds of movement late at night. Then one day, exactly six weeks later, she showed up [i]back in her terrarium[i]! She, apparently, had been going back into her open terrarium to get water while she was loose. I fed her well that night, to re-enforce any memory she may have had of finding food there.
I've also had our large male Black "hide" from us when he's loose in the house, but he has always shown back up within a day or so. Right now he is hiding behind some stacked boxes underneath my computer desk.
Does anyone else out there let their snakes have free roam of their house like I do? I've only known of one other family that did this. When I was a kid,( in the '60's), I knew a guy that had a 6 foot California King that had free reign of the house. Even slept in his bed!
Mine doesn't sleep with us, but he is allowed to "stay out" over night sometimes.
Don't misunderstand me. He is usually put back into his terrarium each time we let him out, but not always.
In case you're interested, you can see our Blacks on youtube. Just type in RusellAllen55 to see some vids of them.
The photo is of Nina, the young female, just before she escaped. She's almost solid black now and much larger.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #19
SamanthaJane13
Nope-I have too many mammals in my house.

Geckos stay in their tanks, too, unless we're holding them.

We don't want anyone to be lunch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!