Product danger - warning - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
GRIFFINJ
Product danger - warning

Just sharing an experience I had with a product. My 400 gram Ball Python got stuck in a PetSmart tree and I had to exticact him by chipping away at the tree until I was able to free her.

This was sold in the reptile section at PetSmart and sold for snake enclosures. I learned a valuable lesson and sealed up any and all holes they could pose any similar issues
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
bcr229
A member of ball-pythons.net had a snake get stuck in a similar piece of décor a while back.

Glad your critter is ok!

Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Lucille
Jason I'm so glad she is OK. If you have time, you might email Petsmart and relate what happened. If they hear several such reports they may pull the product off their shelves. As it is I appreciate that you let everyone here know.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
GRIFFINJ
I did go back to the store. They were genuinely apologetic and concerned. They said they were going to make sure anyone else buying this product would be told to cover the hole somehow. I was going to reach out to the manufacturer, but it seems that isn’t as easy as just sending an email. The tag on the product has little information and a google search only brought me to PetSmart

Old 04-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Insomniac101
It looks like the "All Living Things" products are PetSmart's "house" brand. I'm guessing they're made in China, by any of the thousands of plastics manufacturers.

Your best bet is to try reaching someone in marketing, at PetSmart corporate. As Lucille said, if they get enough complaints, they will take action.

As shown below, we Americans spend a staggering amount of money on our pets. If PetSmart chooses to ignore complaints, there are other businesses that will be happy to sell you a safe product.

Just a little fun fact I found today on Conversation.com:

"This year alone, (2018) pet spending in the U.S. is estimated to exceed $72 billion, which is more than the combined GDP of the 39 poorest countries in the world."

I'm glad your critter is okay, and thank you for letting people know! Change usually begins with one person.

Kathy

Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
a lot of the 'reptile' decor sold at chain stores appears to be fish tank decor just rebranded (with lots of little holes for snakes to get stuck in). Just be aware to really check over anything before you buy it. I usually stick to branches, cork bark flats or hides that are solid. I removed all the pretty 'tree' type pieces from my decor years ago due these types of issues.
Glad your snake is okay!

Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
JColt
I do not use decor but glad to see you posted this. You may have saved a herp or 2 today

Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
blueboost68
Glade the snake is ok.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!