Schneider Skink - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
ariusshadow
Schneider Skink

This is my first post in this forum, so bear with me.
I work in a pet store. I do not own any reptiles, but hope to get the best possible environment for the ones at work via the internet. Which is why I signed up for this forum. Please bear in mind with my questions that I'm merely an associate. So I'm trying to do the best I can with what limited abilities I have at the job site. My department manager and I get along well. So if I need to change something minor, it shouldn't be a problem. The store manager on the other hand.... Well.... anyway...
We have many reptiles at my job. But I'm noticing I'm really quite taken to the skinks. We have a Schneider and a Sandfish. I try to keep to socializing them, since I like them so much anyway. :P They're really both quite sweet. But the Schneider seems to have developed a small scab or dry patch on his back. I'm curious if anyone can give me any insight. If you need pictures, I can get them for you when I go into work tomorrow. I don't really know the first thing about any of our repties. Our original department manager passed away in the first week of my being there. So I wasn't really able to learn much during the 'training' periods. Now we have a new department manager and he's changing everything- for the better, but it's still a change nonetheless. So I was never given any information on these animals- plus we're not really trained for what we get in. We have to do the research ourselves. I don't know how much the skinks should eat, or how often. Our feeding schedules seem to have been wrong on all counts so far. Nor do I know if skinks 'shed' or molt. I'm really at quite a loss here. Any input on the hard/scabby feeling along his back, or feeding regiments are much appreciated. Again, just let me know if you want or need pictures to properly diagnose.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
Schneider's Skinks are usually wildcaught imports, so the scab could be an old injury (hard to say without pics). It could also be a result of too dry of a habitat. A lot of folks (including big chain petstores like the one I'm assuming you work at) put them on sand, which is too dry and rough for them. I've found that sand often scuffs up the scales of many skinks species. Try aspen shavings or dry coconut bedding, something they can easily burrow in.

They are primarily insectivores, and should be offered insects daily. I've heard/read mixed information about giving them veggies. I don't know if its true, but it certainly couldn't hurt to offer it once in a while.

Temps should includes a 95-105'F basking spot (thats actual basking surface temps) with an ambient of low 80's.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
ariusshadow
Thank you for the reply. We currently have him in a type of sand. But it's not the reptisand. It looks almost like crushed walnut litter, but I'm almost positive that's not what it is. The temp's about right. I'll definitely check the humidity.
For the record, we're not a chain. There's only 4 stores and we're the newest location (6 months in operation), in New York only.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!