One eyed albinos & sunglows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
mxracer4life
One eyed albinos & sunglows

What is up with all of these one eyed albinos and sunglows? I am working up to sunglows, I am working with super hypos right now, but I am a little worried about possibly producing one eyed snakes. Is there any link to this? Is it just the genetics and the inbreeding? If anyone has info on this, I would be appreciative to hear your explanation. Thanks

Jeremy

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
hhmoore
Its an old issue that has been discussed for years - most consider it the result of significant early inbreeding in the Kahl line of albinos. Some of the other eye deformities do seem to have nongenetic causes or related factors - I've heard both temperature and nutritional issues cited...and seen random anecdotal evidence that some of the problems can be improved with supplementation.
There are plenty of threads around - try a seach in the boa discussion forum

Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
mxracer4life
Sorry Harold. I scrolled through a few pages and didn't see anything. Got lazy, lol. So since your checking this thread, I have a question. Purchasing a one eyed albino/sunglow, you can help improve the eye problem or if you can't it usually is nothing but a missing eye, not usually genetic? Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
hhmoore
If the eye isn't there, you can't do anything about it. There are some other conditions that have been noticed - bulging eyes, and something else (I don't remember) - those are the things I've heard about some successes with.

The threads I was talking about are a couple years old - long dead. Use the search function, as opposed to scrolling.

Most people I know wouldn't use a one eyed albino/sunglow for breeding. I know some people do it, and there are plenty that say it doesn't matter - that they can produce healthy 2 eyed babies - but I, personally, take the side of not breeding or selling the deformities.

**There's nothing wrong with revisiting old topics - I suggested looking at the old threads because there is some good discussion and opinion that likely won't be presented in this one.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
mxracer4life
I did enter "one eye" into the search and it came up with nothing. But anyway, you answered my questions. Thanks Harold.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Twizted Paths
I've heard of pop eyes being fixed & some claims on the underdeveloped eyes too. Never did get to find out how though, I'll try to remember to ask the guy.

They (albinos) tend towards blind, under developed and cloudy eyes (still births too) as well. It's been suggested that part of the problem is female albinos not keeping themselves as warm as normal/hets*. I haven't found any studies on it though, even though it seems like it would be easy enough to monitor.

Albinos are supposed to have more viable neos from het x het and homo x het than from homo x homo, the same should follow with the sunglows, snows and moonglows as well. It would lower the hit odds and up the het odds while lower the % number on the poss hets so breeders more concerned with cash than improving the lines would go for the homo x homo.

Once I get my new racks all done and everybody in them I'm going to do a spreadsheet with body temps for my boas. I only have two that are albino^ but I'm going to do everyone. Got to start somewhere.

Sorry if I repeated what's in the links, I'm saving those for after dinner reading.

*Theory I've heard is that whether gestating or not they keep themselves cooler then normal/hets, which is fine for them but the sub optimal gestation temps cause developmental problems with their litters. I've heard talk of just upping the cage temps to force the right temps but that doesn't sound good for the mother herself.
^They are Not going to be bred to each other and both have two good eyes each.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!