the "handy little tips" thread - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
the "handy little tips" thread

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread dedicated to easy, helpful tips to be shared with everyone. Tips that maybe people never thought of, or just forgot..

Here is mine.. MOUTHWASH!!!!

While on vacation this month, I got to talking to some very nice ladies about hobbies and whatnot.. They were very curious when I began to discuss reptiles and snakes..

And a question (that I am sure most of us get regularly) came up.. "What do you do if one bites you.. " as well as the obvious "does it hurt" blah blah blah..

ANYhow..

I then told her that I have been bit a few times, but it was always due to.. my hand being lined up with the tongs.. .. or running out of rats, and had a huuuungry snake.. etc.

Then the interesting part started.. She asked how I got them off when they would bite and wrap me.. She works as a dispatch, and has heard of a few cases of a large snake wrapping someone, and the cops getting called.. In all of those cases.. they killed the snake..

So.. I kinda gasped and asked why they would kill the snake when it was most likely human error.. (super hungry snake, drunken moron owners, etc).. and she said.. "because they are so strong, that there is no way to get the snake off, so the paramedics have been trained to cut the snakes head off"..

I gasped .. I was unaware that people were being trained this way.... my gasp made her very curious.. she asked if there WAS a way to get them off..

One word..

Mouthwash..

We then began to discuss alcohol, and the reptiles sever hatred of it.. I told her I always have a small, travel mouthwash in the animal room for emergencies, and told her that anything with alcohol content in it works.. It just the tiniest of drops on the tongue of the wrapped up, or locked on reptile to make them spit you out!!!

She said she would pass the info on. She was VERY happy to hear of a safer, easier, and quicker solution!

so.. there is my handy tip.

What is yours??

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Utta
Don't wipe with poison ivy.. >_> <_<

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
brd7666
Don't eat the yellow snow.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
How about, when you're drilling tubs, tip the tub up on it's side(side you're drilling down) and put a 2x4 underneath so you drill through the plastic into the board, thus avoiding cracking the plastic? I hate drilling free standing plastic because if you press too hard, you crack it.

Of course, using a solder iron means you won't crack it at all, and you can melt holes free standing anyway, just avoid the fumes. You also don't get all the squiggly bits of plastic leftover like drilling can make.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
How about, when you're drilling tubs, tip the tub up on it's side(side you're drilling down) and put a 2x4 underneath so you drill through the plastic into the board, thus avoiding cracking the plastic? I hate drilling free standing plastic because if you press too hard, you crack it.

Of course, using a solder iron means you won't crack it at all, and you can melt holes free standing anyway, just avoid the fumes. You also don't get all the squiggly bits of plastic leftover like drilling can make.
You're useing the wrong bit. Use a unibit. Here's what they look like : http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../962154_lg.jpg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!