I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT TEGUS (1st TIME BUYER) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
SpidermanBeardeds
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT TEGUS (1st TIME BUYER)

I am looking to get a tegu. Please list top 5 tegus that make great pets starting from Least aggresive to aggresive, then list top 5 smallest tegus starting from smallest to largest. I need a tegu that wont get aggresive that is also pretty small in size. I dont mind raising one that reaches up to 4 ft. but 6ft. is just out of the question. Thanks.

Example:

Attitude
------

Size
----

Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I am moving this to the discussion forums as it's a request for info.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
SpidermanBeardeds
sorry about that. still new to this website.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Toby_H
Argentinean Tegus very rarely get more than 48" and do not get even close to the 6' mark...

There are lines of them (Extreme Giant sometimes referred to as Chacoan) that get around 5', but they cost more and are limited to one breeder. So it is extremely unlikely you will accidentily get one of the big ones...

Male Arg Tegus get around 4', female Arg Tegus stay 3~3.5'...

Columbian Tegus stay a bit smaller (2.5~3' typically) but are far more difficult Ioften impossible) to tame.

A 4' long 10+ lb lizard is no joke and requires a lot of space. If you are seriously able to supply the space required, Arg Tegus make amazing pets. If proper space is not able to be offered you run the risk of having a very large and very powerful unhappy animal...

It is a serious responsibility to own one... but well worth it if done right...

Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
I would say Argentine FEMALES rarely get larger than 48" maybe...

The blues have looked to be the smallest(and you can get albinos), the Argentines in general are the tamest.

They are a BIG lizard even at 4 feet though. I'd suggest you find someone with a GROWN one to handle. It seems that tons of people get babies and youngsters, but a lot fewer have adults. They are a lot of work, a lot of space and a lot of food.

Even the tamest species can still have ornery individuals however. You might try to locate a reptile rescue to see if they have any tegus available(since many people unerestimate the care and size), and that way you could see how big and what temperment.

In any case, make sure they have proper heat and humidity and food. Any lizard will seem tame when it's cold and starved. Of course, then they die.

Good luck! Tegus can be awesome pets!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
enharmonic
I agree completely, if you want both tame and small (well, smaller.. def not smallest) in the same animal, go with an Argentine. I would even take it a step farther and say that Reds seem to be a little more easier to handle than B&Ws. B&Ws seem to like to be held.. but on their terms, not yours lol, while Reds might get a little wiggly but are more tolerant in a general sense.
Colombians are just straight up jerks. I work with a yearling Black and Gold, and I can't even clean his cage without getting attacked. I'm to busy in the shop to really fight with him to tame him though. Thats gunna be a task for the lucky guy who buys him lol

Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
SixGunIggyLeur
from my personal experience with tegus, this is how I'd list them.

most aggressive to least aggressive:
1. gold
2. col b&w
3. argentine b&w
4. red tegu
5. blue tegu

longest to shortest:
1. varnyards extreme b&w
2. red tegu
3. argentine b&w
4. col. b&w
5. blue tegu
6. gold tegu

Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Thumper
For the most part I agree with sixguniggleur. Argentine black and white, reds, and blues get really tame with some work. Chocoans aka extreme giants are the biggest and a sub species of the black and whites. Even Argentines will get mean if u don't work with them. I would stay away from columbians entirely if you're looking for something tame although some people have success. If your looking for something smaller (for a tegu) and easily tamed I would go with a blue.

These websites have alot of info on tegus
Thetegu.com
Tegutalk.com

Good luck Tegus are the best!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!