Need Help With Freedom Breeder Rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
lucy101
Need Help With Freedom Breeder Rack

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a freedom breeder large rack a couple of weeks ago. Ive been having problems with getting the temperature up to where i need them. Its in a fairly warm room. I use a rancos thermostat. The probe is set inside the tub on the floor where the heat pad is. The hottest Ive got it is 85 but usually stays around 80. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks, Johnny

Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
hhmoore
My guess is that you will have to adjust the probe position. By placing the probe of an on/off type thermostat on the floor of the enclosure directly over the heat source, it shuts off the heat as soon that spot hits the desired temperature...which decreases the overall heating effect. You can either increase the temp setting slightly OR move the probe slightly away from the heating element. (or you could buy a proportional Tstat, so it is not turning on and off all the time))

Old 04-30-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
hhmoore
I should have asked - is it a full rack? If so, are you having the problem on all the levels, or just the lower one(s).

Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
lucy101
I have 4 levels. Ive moved the probe around a couple of times. Ive also put the temp setting up to 115 just to see how hot it would get and the hottest it got was 85.Its 3 inch heat tape maybe i need a bigger size?

Thanks Johnny

Old 04-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
hhmoore
what size are the tubs? (I could go look it up, but I'm only on for a minute). The other question is how and where are you measuring temps?
ok, I lied - one more. Is the heat tape in direct contact with the tubs? If not, is there a way to adjust the positioning so it is closer or touching?

From what I have heard, the initial dialing in of the temps can be troublesome - depending on the room temps and the equipment used. I prefer temp guns for figuring out various in-cage temps, but they do not eliminate the need for thermometers. Both items serve different purposes, IMO.

One other thing you can do, is run the heat tape to a rheostat, so there is constant, but lesser, power to the tape; then use the Ranco to control against temperature spikes (common with rheostats, because of fluctuations in room temp)

Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Bill & Amy
With the Freedom Breeder racks they are the open air design correct? If they are the room temperature is gonna play a big part in your temps. What exactly is your room temp?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
lucy101
THanks everyone for your help. I called freedom breeder and they said to make sure i tape the probe to a surface. Before I had it hanging and i guess the thermostat calculates surface temperature, Not air. Thanks agian, Johnny

Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy101
THanks everyone for your help. I called freedom breeder and they said to make sure i tape the probe to a surface. Before I had it hanging and i guess the thermostat calculates surface temperature, Not air. Thanks agian, Johnny
The thermostat is controlled by the temp reading at the probe, which of course is dictated by it's proximity to the heat source (and of course, the temperature attained by said heat source).

Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
esoteric-lizard
get an air conditioner if you can... thats what i use. my room sometimes creeps into the upper 80's... a flip of the switch and the room temp drops to the upper 70's or cooler.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!