Inquiry John Farr dealings and husbandry practices. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #52
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshead3 View Post
According ti Dr Funk hGrove sold mite infested burms to several others that year.
Do veterinarians announce who is selling what to who? I don't know. I am attempting to try to get in touch with Dr. Funk and ask.
While this thread is years old, I'm pretty sure that contacts with Mr. Farr would not easily be forgotten.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #53
David Reid
I am not quite sure why everyone is making light of mites. I got a new snake about 10 years ago that had mites, lucky for me, I had the snake in a different part of the room to my Ball collection. I made it very clear to the guy I got the snakes from that I was more than peeved....mites are not ok to give out as a "bonus" to your customers. This guy could have gotten mites from bedding, not sure, but it seems like most of you think mites are just a part of doing business.....not me!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #54
bcr229
I don't think people are making light of being sent a critter with mites. It certainly should NOT happen but it does, and you need to prepare for it with your QT practices.

OTOH John Farr's method of "mite control" per his emails from four years ago is to throw the infested critter in the freezer. That's not only inappropriate, it's inhumane, and it's enough to stop me from doing business with him.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #55
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
OTOH John Farr's method of "mite control" per his emails from four years ago is to throw the infested critter in the freezer. That's not only inappropriate, it's inhumane, and it's enough to stop me from doing business with him.

Absolutely. That, and the way he's treated the people who recently inquired about some boas.To be avoided like the plague.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #56
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reid View Post
I am not quite sure why everyone is making light of mites. I got a new snake about 10 years ago that had mites, lucky for me, I had the snake in a different part of the room to my Ball collection. I made it very clear to the guy I got the snakes from that I was more than peeved....mites are not ok to give out as a "bonus" to your customers. This guy could have gotten mites from bedding, not sure, but it seems like most of you think mites are just a part of doing business.....not me!
There are plenty of tried and true methods of dealing with mites on snakes although they are never welcome they do happen to the best of us.

HOWEVER PUTTING THE POOR CREATURE IN THE FREEZER IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #57
AndyUltimateReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reid View Post

Nothing will ruin my day like mites. I’ve luckily never dealt with them as an outbreak at my house. Why? I quarantine and treat every animal that comes through the door for 6 weeks minimum. I’ve gotten snakes with them more than a few times, but after day one of coming into quarantine, I’ve never seen a live one. Mites can come from the biggest names in the biz. Mites can come from people handling multiple animals at shows that you then take home. They suck and they shouldn’t come on animals you buy, but they do, or their eggs. But it’s not the end of the world and is an easy fix as long as you’re smart about it. Either way, it’s ridiculous to freeze snakes that have them because you can’t follow simple treatment procedures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!