Inquiry John Farr dealings and husbandry practices. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Jermosh
John Farr dealings and husbandry practices.

Long time Lurker.

I am having some serious and concerning communications with an Ex-customer of mine. I will add the screen shots of our communications and will end with something about myself, I am trying to stay non-bias as possible. So please ask questions and make your own conclusions. Looking back I see some mistakes I made in not seeing stuff early.
Precursor to this communication(I inked out the phone# for privacy on his part), I was vending at the 2014 Tucson Reptile Show 10-4/5, John Farr was there as well selling his snakes, I assume Boas since those are the only ones he commented on. He was interested in the HD Burm cross, as were a lot of people. This was my very 1st show vending, and there is no fair market value since they are rare and only a handful of states, in the end I just want my babies to go to good homes, and I felt having no price would let me vet some of families, this was my mistake, but I corrected it on the next day.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Jermosh
Note we traded on 10-18, cash, these are hatchlings that have been in a snake bag and container. They will be snippy, I gave a Husbandry doc, saying that some need time and to feed and look for them coming up to you for food, I call it the Food Dance.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Jermosh
Note, we traded on Oct18.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Jermosh
Some of the emails did get out of sequence. I was responding my phone and was attempting to respond while emails were coming in.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
freedumbdclxvi
So, he admitted to having an infestation *before* he got your animals? And, even if they somehow did have mites, he didn't quarantine?

Man, that makes me sick he just put them down instead of treating the mites. So few dwarf burms in the states, and he puts a pair down.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Jermosh
Me and My POV

I am new to breeding, but am a long time owner. I have always been interested in breeding, but its never been a priority, when they added my Species of choice to the Lacy Act as injurious, I felt compelled to start a breeding project in AZ and needed to act on it. I brought in a Half Dwarf group from Art in Scales out of Colorado Springs in Feb/March of 2012. I really love Burms, and I love every part of them, but the size is a concern for reputable keepers, HDs fills this concern.

Fast forward to this season, I got my 1st clutch, and I was ecstatic. I kept watching the eggs, kept monitoring the incubator, I even talked to them. I am a dabbler in Electronics so I made a remote sensing and talking system, cheezy yes, but it was fun and I did get some good data.

I am not in this to make money, I am ecstatic so far with my season. I was able to demonstrate and get people excited about something I helped made, if I could I would give them all away, but free does not give equity, and that is needed to make sure they treat the animal well.

I will also admit that mistakes happen, good keepers get mites, they come from shows, other animals, rescues, or even the wild. But this is why I keep a abatement protocol in place, I leave simple pest strips on the floor near the doors, I dust with Sevin in inaccessible areas, and I will treat wood with PAM along with unknown aged substrate. None of the animals ever come into contact with any of these items. These are not protocols I just made up, I work with a large Herp society(Phoenix Herp Society), the curators, president, and other keepers have well over a century of proper keeping. In fact one retic is over 28yrs old, giants do not get that age by poor husbandry. So I learned from them, and I also learned from other keepers, vetted of course. I did add double sided sticky tape to trap any that might have gotten through.

I will admit that the group of HDs that I got in, did have mites. Art in Scales had an outbreak, and profusely apologized. It happens, I use PAM and those animals did get a beta dine and dawn bath, and Front Line. So my reptile collection has been mite free since March '12. I have not added any new animals to my collection recently.

John Farr also met with me face to face at the Phoenix show 11-15/16, he was vending, but I did not have time to see his booth or what he was vending. He was very cordial, we small talked and he seemed generall happy with the babies.

I have talked to my other customers and they all said health and temperament were spot on. I rechecked with a magnifying glass all my babies, I checked all tubs, and I checked all the double-sided tape. I am not showing any signs of mites. But as again, I am open to mistakes happening, I am open the possibility that a lone mite got on one baby, but I was giving a no real time to rectify anything.

I admit I took this very personally, and I really want the best for my babies that I produce. I am utterly appalled that someone would non-humanely put down a snake for mites. Yes IBD and FDLV are serious concerns with mites, but they are EXTREMELY RARE and IBD is fast on pythons, FDLV would have certainly showed up in my collection by now. My animals see their vet regularly.

I have talked to PHS and a friend Nate who is associated with AHA. Both of these are reputable and large Herpetology societies. They are both in agreement that something needed to be said and this was in no way right reponse.

Looking back, I should have seen red flags when he said he froze snakes, I honestly thought it was so obscene it was a joke. I admit I was not good at vetting this person. I have a Professional job and work a lot of hours, and I volunteer a lot as well. My mistake, and I let my babies down.

Thank you for your time. I will be contacting him about this communication.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Jermosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumbdclxvi View Post
So, he admitted to having an infestation *before* he got your animals? And, even if they somehow did have mites, he didn't quarantine?

Man, that makes me sick he just put them down instead of treating the mites. So few dwarf burms in the states, and he puts a pair down.
To be clear, these are Half Dwarfs, they are a cross mainland and dwarfs. But yes, both are very rare.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Jermosh
I sent him a note to please communicate and bring his POV to this thread. I was also clear I would post any further communication here as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
HamCamaro
That is pretty ridiculous. Sorry you had to deal with this Jon. But, there are a lot of ignorant shady people in and out of the hobby. You did your best to vet who your babies went to. However, you cannot predict when people will be completely irrational. Good on you for getting the word out that this is obviously someone to avoid.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
AndyUltimateReptiles
This exchange makes me sick to my stomach. I don't think the buyer has really any idea how a mite's life cycles works or what it takes/how long it takes to treat them. Also, to simply put a snake down by putting it in a box with ice...I'm glad I can't send Burms over state lines. It means I won't have to deal with him. Also, to have zero quarantine (especially after just taking animals to a show and picking up new animals and tossing everything together), the guy is seriously lucky he hasn't dealt with this before. Every new animal and every animal taken to a show should undergo a treatment/qt upon return.

Jon, I think everyone that knows you and has dealt with you can easily see you always put the animals first. Unfortunately you sometimes have to deal with a few bad apples.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!