Inquiry John Farr dealings and husbandry practices. - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #41
Jermosh
Thanks for the comments everyone.

To clarify, there is a dwarf burm sub species. Although its very rare, and currently only in a few states, there is only 1 known dwarf morph, all of its genetics reside in Austria with a few hets around Europe.

So if you see a albino granite dwarf burm, its false. Its at least a half dwarf, and at least F2. There is a distinctive way to tell based on head and eye shape though.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #42
bdevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila7150 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with this guy. He's obviously not fit to care for a pet rock. If this guy is so afraid of a baby python bite that he would kill it he may want to trade the rest of his pythons for a Bichon Frise.

I have a Bichon and I will bet my bank account my Bichon is more bitey than all his pythons.

What a punk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #43
coolbord9
Wow. The way he callously describes euthing your snakes to you, like hes trying to emotionally hurt you with the info, is very telling. This is an animal abuser who has no care for his animal's wellbeing (hell, he attacks you for preventative care...). I don't believe he has bred his animals as he claims (he says his temperaments breed true...).
Moreover, he doesn't qt new animals but mites are a cause for culling, without any further testing? Those two positions are mutually exclusive. Either you care about biosecurity or you do not...

Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #44
gophersnake13
It's also possible he's just a liar never got mites or killed the snakes and just wanted free money.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #45
regardingmarley
The whole weight given to this mite thing is skewed. They can come from ANYWHERE in this hobby. And, coming from experience, it happens more often then most of us would like. The key is simply to be vigilant and careful. Hell, just last month one of my T+ CA yearlings showed up one morning with a few mites, no clue how. She was in a display style cage stack with 7 other snakes/cages. Easy, open air flow between all cages. Bottom line - potential for complete stack infestation. Treated her, treated the others out of caution, sprayed down all cages and replaced substrate. This took all of 90 minutes at most. ONE TIME. Guess what? No more mites. Later I found out the mites came from a non kiln fired bag of bedding I had picked up in a rush, I discovered this by witnessing the mites on the white rats using the same bedding.

The moral of my story is that even seeing mites is not a huge issue if handled. Certainly not justifying Mr. Farr's responses or behavior. In fact, without any further health concerns euthanasia could be considered criminal. Further, the guidelines state to state vary but at least here in PA, freezing is not listed as a humane, acceptable method.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #46
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by regardingmarley View Post
The whole weight given to this mite thing is skewed. They can come from ANYWHERE in this hobby. And, coming from experience, it happens more often then most of us would like. The key is simply to be vigilant and careful. Hell, just last month one of my T+ CA yearlings showed up one morning with a few mites, no clue how. She was in a display style cage stack with 7 other snakes/cages. Easy, open air flow between all cages. Bottom line - potential for complete stack infestation. Treated her, treated the others out of caution, sprayed down all cages and replaced substrate. This took all of 90 minutes at most. ONE TIME. Guess what? No more mites. Later I found out the mites came from a non kiln fired bag of bedding I had picked up in a rush, I discovered this by witnessing the mites on the white rats using the same bedding.

The moral of my story is that even seeing mites is not a huge issue if handled. Certainly not justifying Mr. Farr's responses or behavior. In fact, without any further health concerns euthanasia could be considered criminal. Further, the guidelines state to state vary but at least here in PA, freezing is not listed as a humane, acceptable method.
So could those have been wood mites and not snake mites? If they were on the rats too I would assume they would be wood mites and not a danger to the snake. Like you said mites can come from anywhere but not all are really dangerous to the snakes, so for him to kill snakes over mites and not even knowing what type of mites is disgusting. Honestly I would have reported him to the proper authorities at that point of him saying he killed snakes over mites. Although it would have also looked bad on us all since they like to make one incident the fault of every reptile keeper.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #47
regardingmarley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElexisOrtiz View Post
So could those have been wood mites and not snake mites? If they were on the rats too I would assume they would be wood mites and not a danger to the snake. Like you said mites can come from anywhere but not all are really dangerous to the snakes
Yes, absolutely they could have been, and most likely were contracted during a feeding. I noticed them going under scales and so I took precautions. But yeah, you and I are on the same page. My point, as you go on to echo in your post, is that euthanasia was both inhumane and unnecessary.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #48
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by regardingmarley View Post
Yes, absolutely they could have been, and most likely were contracted during a feeding. I noticed them going under scales and so I took precautions. But yeah, you and I are on the same page. My point, as you go on to echo in your post, is that euthanasia was both inhumane and unnecessary.
Oh yes of course take precautions because at a glance it's hard to tell what kind they are if they haven't fed on the blood of the animal and gorged their selves. Also no one likes to see mites even if they are harmless. I would never kill a snake if it had mites. Now if the snake got a disease from biting another snake and passing it to mine then yea humane euthanisia by a vet after testing would be an option depending on disease and all others would be tested as well. Throwing them in a freezer for mites is beyond inhumane.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #49
dogshead3
Mite infested burmese

You would rather I infect my whole collection and have aquire what ever disease that they re carrying. Your ignorance is amazing. You cuoldnt afford what I sell.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #50
dogshead3
Jermosh youre deranged. Jon Grove sold myself and several others fake dwarf burmese that were mite infested. According ti Dr Funk hGrove sold mite infested burms to several others that year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!