Bad Guy The Urban Gecko is threating to sue me - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #41
a709262
I am no lawyer, so I could be dead wrong about this, but, Doesn't his lawyer require a license to practice in your state in order to sue you? I once worked for a lawyer, and we were always told that we could not bring suit to anyone in another state unless he had a license there. This particular lawyer could only sue people in Texas and Louisiana, any other state was off limits.

Looking closer, this guy is in Canada, so does this count as an international case?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #42
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by a709262 View Post
I am no lawyer, so I could be dead wrong about this, but, Doesn't his lawyer require a license to practice in your state in order to sue you? I once worked for a lawyer, and we were always told that we could not bring suit to anyone in another state unless he had a license there. This particular lawyer could only sue people in Texas and Louisiana, any other state was off limits.

Looking closer, this guy is in Canada, so does this count as an international case?
Maybe.

Craig Stewart could hire a lawyer in the OPs state to pursue a case.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #43
a709262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Queen View Post
Maybe.

Craig Stewart could hire a lawyer in the OPs state to pursue a case.
I figured he'd just talked to a lawyer, learned what it would cost him to sue someone out of state, and used it as a threat.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:28 PM   #44
rujonesin
I see people saying this is the same gecko. I see striking differences other than the color. If you look at the top back stripe and the last back strap before the base of the tail. With the top stripe the orange gecko has the stripe higher on it's right side and the yellow is higher on it's left. Looking at the bottom strap the orange has a V-shaped marking centered in the stripe. The yellow one has a U-shaped mark starting immediately at the left. The orange one has a line leading to the V mark from the left where as the yellow U shape starts right at the side of the back. Just my two cents.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #45
rujonesin

I meant to include a photo to support my comments. Sorry it's been a while since I've posted on here.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #46
AllisonLeigh
Sadly, as a Canadian, I've found we have limited options for ordering geckos online here in Canada... as such, I've used Urban Gecko in the past. Your video outlines some very familiar experiences. While they are absolutely willing to give discounts and credits to resolve their issues, the issues definitely exist. I highly doubt you'll hear anything further about a lawsuit, and I find the threat rather disappointing and makes me rethink some of the "benefit of the doubt" they've been afforded.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 PM   #47
bcr229
So after watching the videos and reading the thread, I think both the buyer and seller made mistakes.

Buyer:

Did not research the seller until after the order was placed.

Should have known on Dec 6th that given the weather forecast at his location (see pic of historical temp data from USClimateData.com), plus the need for people who ship critters to avoid the "Christmas Crush", there was no safe shipping window until at least January. Most sellers stop shipping the week after Thanksgiving because of the increase in shipping traffic plus the number of temp/inexperienced workers hired by FedEx means there's a greater likelihood of a screw-up.

I tried to find similar temperature data for the Urban Gecko's location but could not, the site above is for the US only. I used the data for Buffalo, NY which is right across the lake so they'd be pretty close. Again, unless the shipping occurred on 12/4, it wasn't going to happen safely until January and even then matching up temps in the OP's location, their location, and a Mon-Tue-Wed shipping window there was maybe one chance to get it done for the month.

Seller:

The web site needs to be updated to indicate that they only ship into the US every 2-3 weeks, which is reasonable given they're in Canada. Buyers in the US need to know that.

The web site should have the actual safe shipping temps they use, right now those are missing.

Substituting the second male gecko for the first one that was lost; the buyer should have had the opportunity to pick out a new critter or get a refund since the seller could not ship the specific animal that was purchased.

As for the color differences between the seller's pictures versus the OP's pictures: the two pictures I've attached are a boa I got in 2015. The pictures were taken within minutes of each other by the same camera, lens, etc. Neither has been photoshopped or altered, other than resizing. The difference was in the camera settings. The picture that was more orange/red was taken with the camera's factory settings; my hand isn't really that red! The other picture, which shows the boa's correct colors, was taken after my husband had adjusted some of the settings.

No I don't know what he changed exactly, he's the one with the expensive photography equipment, I just use my phone.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #48
Sostic
You're right the temps were starting to get cold then, we would've just barely made it if the had shipped right away. It's my fault for thinking they'd be out in the same week I ordered them. I also understand that cameras, lighting and everything make all the difference when it comes to photos but if the pictures I have are the same gecko that's more than just fancy lighting in my opinion. That's only if they're the same gecko, how can bright light turn a brown and yellow gecko orange and black?

Old 08-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #49
Buttons
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonLeigh View Post
Sadly, as a Canadian, I've found we have limited options for ordering geckos online here in Canada... as such, I've used Urban Gecko in the past. Your video outlines some very familiar experiences. While they are absolutely willing to give discounts and credits to resolve their issues, the issues definitely exist. I highly doubt you'll hear anything further about a lawsuit, and I find the threat rather disappointing and makes me rethink some of the "benefit of the doubt" they've been afforded.
Are you part of any of the crested gecko groups on FB? There are many many Canadian breeders who will ship.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #50
AllisonLeigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
Are you part of any of the crested gecko groups on FB? There are many many Canadian breeders who will ship.
I was into leopard geckos, after a few sub par experiences ordering online I started sticking to local breeders for new blood. I've since taken a hiatus from breeding so haven't had to worry about it for awhile. Thanks for the info though!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!