A night in heaven ? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
kmurphy
I
Quote:
believe that a live snapper off the road beats a squashed one on the road. Hence, I will continue to move such in the safest way possible to both them and me, which is by the tail.
I agree with this statement but the original intent of Mike's argument was to infer that holding by the tail was the preferred method. It is, if you're intention is speed and keeping all your fingers, but it really isn't the best way.

On a different note. I have had cars swurve to hit a turtle that was crossing the road while I was out of the car waiting to assist it across. I can't understand the minds of some people.

Kevin

Old 06-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivets55
I can't understand the minds of some people.

There is no understanding a mind that thinks wanton killing and malicious cruelty are OK.

Let's not forget when a rescue is attempted the urgency of the situation often puts both the rescuer and rescuee at considerable risk. The rescuer can lose more than a didget in oncoming traffic. Handling a captive snapper should be much safer than wild one. Any herp wild or captive should be handled in the safest way possible for the handler and handelee.

Regards,

John D

Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
detrick105
I just want to state that if you are removing a snapper from the road that I think its ok to grab it from the tail and also the back of the shell and drag it off the road...I just don't think that it is a good idea to lift a snapper off the ground by its tail and it really makes me MAD when I see dead turtles on the side of the road and you know someone went out of their way to hit them.
Steve

Old 06-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
Tears_and_Fangs
Nasty Buggers snappers are....I'll probabley have an encounter with a few myself this summer. Nice Find Old Guy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!