Breeding anoles.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
mxracer4life
Breeding anoles....

Hey guys, just had a few questions about breeding anoles. My little brother has a male and was just thinking about getting a female and breeding them. He has him in a 29 gal aquarium which is pretty tall. He has plenty of branches and plants in there for climbing, with a soil/sand mix for a substrate. They should be atleast a year or two old, right? He has the temp at about 78 with a basking spot at the top thats near 95. The bottom of the cage stays about 72ish. The substrate is about 5'' deep, is this ok to leave in there and possible allow the female to lay her eggs? Should the temps stay the same or no? How long do they take to hatch? Any other info would be great. I myself have hatched corn/king snake eggs before, but didn't know if it should be any different. thanks, later....

Jeremy

Old 06-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
aliceinwl
I assume you're talking about green anoles. I used to keep them and didn't know they were breeding until I found a baby anole loose in my living room Mine would lay thier eggs in the potted plants in the tank. They seemed to like the plants with dense foliage best. As long as the soil stayed moist (but not wet) for the plant, the eggs did fine. I never, however, had any luck with the brown anole eggs. What I ended up doing was having rotating plants, when I started finding a lot of eggs I'd move the plant into the baby tank, and put a new one in. By the time all the eggs had hatched it was time to switch them again. I had close to 100% hatch. Your temps sound similar to mine. The hardest thing will probably be finding a female, most of the anoles I see in the petstores are males and the immature males can be difficult to tell apart. If you co-habitate them, the female will start laying when she's ready.

-Alice

Old 06-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
mxracer4life
Thanks for the advise, that is pretty much what I was going to have him do! Thanks again! later

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!