The pied mussurana, not a Drymarchon but wow! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
The pied mussurana, not a Drymarchon but wow!

The pied mussurana, not a Drymarchon but wow!

The mussurana (Clelia occipitolutea) is one of the most beautiful and largests colubrids of South America. Adult individuals measuring 6 feet are not uncommon. Rear fanged, and jet black as an adult, it’s almost identical to Drymarchon. It feeds mainly on other snakes although it can easily be trained to accept rodents.

During a recent herping trip to South America I had the opportunity to visit the facilities of David Fabius, one the more experienced breeders of this species. He is currently breeding not only the “normal” form but also the pied variant. After 13 years of hard work he has been able to produce the “super” pied form (see attached picture). For those that love indigos this is another species to drool all over.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Art Klass
Wow! Pied is my favorite genetic morph. That's a beauty.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
Well, we finally decided to import one. We currently have a baby male that's eagerly taking pinks. In the near future we might be adding a female to our breeding colony.

Regards.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Art Klass
Be sure to post pics!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Will do as soon as I get to it. We imported a pied male (not super) but has a lot of red and white on him. Incredible looking animal.

Regards,

Dan

Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Douglas Taylor
Indigo fans and Mussurana fans tend to overlap a lot, so this is a nice place to share your good news.

Cool stuff Dan,

Doug T

Old 07-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Thanks Doug ! For those that don't know Doug is one of the breeders of this species here in the US. He gave me a huge hand with the importation of this specimen. The one we have here is doing great on pinks. How's yours doing?

Regards.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
bigjay
that one is awsome, Jeff S mentioned that the breeder may also have a leucistic animal, would you happen to have pics of, or know where i can find pics of that animal?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
Douglas Taylor
Mine is munching down the f/t pinks and fuzzies real nice and putting on some weight. Thanks for asking Dano.... Where's my Macallan? :eatpointe

As for the Luecistic specimen... I think David Fabius has what is as close to that as we'll see anytime. The piebald trait covers almost the entire body leaving just a few spots with normal color. Dan and I have animals that pretty much look the same... predominantly black with white patches and some red patches mixed in.

I'll get some pics of mine set up soon and I'll let everyone know.

The normal black mussurana is no little thing though. It is the only colubrid that I like as much as drymarchon. Pretty soon I'll have some nice feeding pics to showoff too.

Till then

:scatter:

Doug T

Old 07-24-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
varnyard
Looks awesome Dan, I can't wait to see your pics!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!