is usark over stepping its rights by proposing rules for states without asking us - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
rodneynboalich
Exclamation is usark over stepping its rights by proposing rules for states without asking us

i recently got an email from usark and was concerned with a paragraph in it.

USARK rejects the designation of "Dangerous" to describe to any reptile. We understand that there are occupational risks involved in the captive husbandry of the largest examples of five large snake species, and venomous reptiles. It is the position of USARK that only experienced and serious keepers should work with these animals. However, it is important to consider that there is no evidence to suggest that these risks are any greater than those associated with working with other traditional types of livestock or pets - indeed, the measurable risk is significantly less. USARK has developed model legislation that can be enacted at the state level to ensure that keepers working with certain reptiles adhere to strict caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention plans, registration and micro-chipping.

the part that bothers me is not so much the pending legislation that i have yet to even hear about but the part about usark setting up (model legislation that can be enacted at the state level to ensure that keepers working with certain reptiles adhere to strict caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention plans, registration and micro-chipping.)

1. i havnt heard of any new legislation for reptiles in PA

2. im not aware of usark contacting anyone in the hobby in PA in regards to setting up rules for keeping their animals.

3. i was told usark contacted PA government and told them that PA needs rules and regulations

i guess my question is what gives usark the right to come to my state and suggest imposing rules and regulations without first discussing them with the the people in the industry that live in the state where said rules would be imposed?

i also heard usark set up the rules for NC and i was wondering if i could get that information and look it over since im guessing it will be similar to that usark is suggesting PA should do.

im not trying to start a war here but i do feel that its wrong for any organization to represent an entire state without first consulting the people the rules will affect.

another thing that bothers me is whenever there is money involved the possibility for corruption gos up dramatically. now im not accusing usark of anything but i would like to point out if all the anti reptile legislation went away so would all the money there getting to fight it plus as far as i know there has been no disclosure on their part showing where all the money is going.


thank you
rodney boalich
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Laura Fopiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneynboalich View Post
i recently got an email from usark and was concerned with a paragraph in it.

USARK rejects the designation of "Dangerous" to describe to any reptile. We understand that there are occupational risks involved in the captive husbandry of the largest examples of five large snake species, and venomous reptiles. It is the position of USARK that only experienced and serious keepers should work with these animals. However, it is important to consider that there is no evidence to suggest that these risks are any greater than those associated with working with other traditional types of livestock or pets - indeed, the measurable risk is significantly less. USARK has developed model legislation that can be enacted at the state level to ensure that keepers working with certain reptiles adhere to strict caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention plans, registration and micro-chipping.

the part that bothers me is not so much the pending legislation that i have yet to even hear about but the part about usark setting up (model legislation that can be enacted at the state level to ensure that keepers working with certain reptiles adhere to strict caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention plans, registration and micro-chipping.)

1. i havnt heard of any new legislation for reptiles in PA

2. im not aware of usark contacting anyone in the hobby in PA in regards to setting up rules for keeping their animals.

3. i was told usark contacted PA government and told them that PA needs rules and regulations

i guess my question is what gives usark the right to come to my state and suggest imposing rules and regulations without first discussing them with the the people in the industry that live in the state where said rules would be imposed?

i also heard usark set up the rules for NC and i was wondering if i could get that information and look it over since im guessing it will be similar to that usark is suggesting PA should do.

im not trying to start a war here but i do feel that its wrong for any organization to represent an entire state without first consulting the people the rules will affect.

another thing that bothers me is whenever there is money involved the possibility for corruption gos up dramatically. now im not accusing usark of anything but i would like to point out if all the anti reptile legislation went away so would all the money there getting to fight it plus as far as i know there has been no disclosure on their part showing where all the money is going.


thank you
rodney boalich
Told by whom and heard what exactly? No this isn't the BOI, however if you're going to make claims of these actions, you should at least tell the whole story
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
rodneynboalich
a friend of mine told me about usark contacting the PA government. i have no proof of that nor did i claim to. the main issue is that usark is setting up rules for states to enact without talking to the hobbyist in the states first. its right here

USARK has developed model legislation that can be enacted at the state level to ensure that keepers working with certain reptiles adhere to strict caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention plans, registration and micro-chipping.

this is right from the email i got today
and the micro shipping thing is a joke that has proved to be very dangerous to animals
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneynboalich View Post

USARK has developed model legislation that can be enacted at the state level

That is an AWESOME idea!!!

I'm sure hobbyists with input are welcome to send it, have you emailed them your thoughts?
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
rodneynboalich
some of the micro ship issues

http://www.chipmenot.org/more.htm
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
rodneynboalich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
That is an AWESOME idea!!!

I'm sure hobbyists with input are welcome to send it, have you emailed them your thoughts?
yeah i got in a fight with andrew wyat on his facebook page about it. he really didnt answer r any of my questions. so its on here now for everybody to have their say
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
rodneynboalich
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneynboalich View Post
some of the micro ship issues

http://www.chipmenot.org/more.htm
http://www.chipmenot.org/microchiprisks.htm
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
rodneynboalich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
That is an AWESOME idea!!!

I'm sure hobbyists with input are welcome to send it, have you emailed them your thoughts?
i really dont see how its an awesome idea when they did it without our imput. keep in mind they are supposed to be fighting for our freedoms not making laws to limit them
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Lucille
After hearing about the model legislation, I think maybe I'll look into getting involved with USARK after the new year, hopefully all my house/moving issues will be taking less of my time then.

But I do agree that you should speak your view if you have particular disagreements.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneynboalich View Post
i really dont see how its an awesome idea when they did it without our imput. keep in mind they are supposed to be fighting for our freedoms not making laws to limit them

I would be willing to bet that the model legislation was a while in the making, and that then and now your efforts and input would be welcome. You don't need an engraved invite to help the community, you know that many places would be more than happy to have help.
You have an excellent point in that too much legislation is intrusive and unwelcome. But if there is some, there is a lot to be said for it being the same from state to state.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.04530311 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC