New savannah, parasite question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
dawagner
New savannah, parasite question

Hi everyone i recently picked up a baby savannah and had a question about worms. when he poops it has been in his water bowl so the poop isnt in one piece. I can see cricket legs and heads and tons of small things that look like rice but thinner and slightly shorter. what do worms look like, would these be them ill try and get a pic next time he drops a deuce? if any one has a pic of what worms (or other parasites) look like in poop could you please post it.
I was also wondering what kind of schedule your savannah's have, nocturnal, diurnal, or crepuscular.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Digby Rigby
Talking poop poop pee doo

Monitors are pretty amazing animals. If given the proper tools they can pretty much take care of themselves. They should not be treated as a prevenitive nor for minor parasite infestation. If you bump up the basking spot to about 145 degrees farenheit they will cook the parasites out. Also if really worried get a fecal exam.

Digby Rigby

until the exoticfeeders link gets back up balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Ron Mertz
A long, long time ago (in a galaxy not far away) I asked the exact same question. I was told that it could be cricket eggs.
A fecal exam would tell you for sure, though.
-Ron

Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
dawagner
Thanks for your replies, im just worring alot because of reading alot about farm hatched savannah's being loaded with parasites.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
dawagner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mertz
I was told that it could be cricket eggs.
-Ron
would this be by eating the pregnant crickets? I would think that their stomachs would digest them, also what ever they were theres no sign of them in his poop today. He seems to be acclimating just fine, has been eating regularly crickets and f/t pinks and coming out to bask and explore. Hes not to happy about me lookin at him though and either books it to the hide or starts huffing and puffing whenever he realizes im watching him like below.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Ron Mertz
I'm sure he'll get used to you once he's full acclimated.
Yeah, I asked the same question about the stomach acids. I was told that they (the eggs) survive in the same way the legs and heads do - they just don't get fully digested. And, yes, I was also told that it is the result of eating a pregnant female cricket. I think that is why you don't always see them in the fecal.
I would still recommend a fecal exam, though.
-Ron

Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Digby Rigby
Warning! Changes

From what I can see from the picture there are several things that can cause the monitor to be ina weakened condition due to stress. It needs dirt to dig in teh whole bottom should be covered in dirt. Dirt that can retain moisture without getting soggy, dirt that will hold a burrow. Also there needs to be more hide spots. Tight dark hide spots in all three temp zones of the cage at least one each in the basking spot, the cool end and the warm endand make sure you dont have a screen top you want the cage to conserve heat and moisture. By provoding these conditions the monitor will not have to choose security over health an will alleviate alot of the stress the present conditions cause. That alone will help greatly with any possible parasites.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
dawagner
Yea right now im looking for good dirt thats why hes on paper, I had bought some but it didnt work very well so im looking for some better stuff, also for the weight issue for the transportation back to school. Theres two hides one is a retes stack that he uses all the time and the other is a log hide. Temps are 110-115 in the basking area, and 75 ambient, and 82 under the retes hide he uses. These are taken with a thermometer w/a probe because I left my temp gun at school, but we're goin back tomarrow so ill have that to double check the current readings. Fecal is going to be done this week.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Digby Rigby
More

Get the basking temperature up to 125 degrees to 130 degrees. Warm end should be around 88-90 and the cool end around 70.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 01-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
bluesbayou
I thought "hot rocks" were a bad thing?? Also, Digby - I have kept my sav on paper since I got it ( April 06 ) and she is doing great - eats everything, is VERY inquisitive and hides when she sleeps. She is in a 75 gal E tank with an open top. I know for a fact that my basking spot is too cold after reading this ( I'm emailing the wife to correct it). She getts misted twice a day and has a cat little swimming pool - that explains the humidity for her curent set up I guess. I plan on setting her up in a cattle trough when I get home so my wife can set up her (dumb) fish again in the 75. What is a good mix for the soil? I live in Eastern NC on the coast so there may be too much salt in my backyard. I figure if she has done so good so far, getting it right will make her even better. Thanks, Blue

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!