Breeding fire skinks? Need help. :) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
LoveOfTheFox
Breeding fire skinks? Need help. :)

Hi, I'm basically new to the herpetology world - but, I did study herpetology indirectly for 3 years, and I owned a skink once...but, I hadn't done any research on it, and didn't listen to my thoughts and gut, and got convinced into something that I thought was bad, and I was right- and it died. (I can share why if anyone wants to know... I'm just trying to point out that it was a mistake on my part not speaking up to authority for what I thought- but that I probably would have been able to if I had done my research and KNOWN what I had thought first.)

Anyways, I'm interested in breeding skinks. I've decided on fire-skinks because they are a good size (for what I'm looking for), and honestly, because they look cool. And because they're not too expensive- but not too cheap at the same time. (I want something I can afford, but that I won't have too much trouble selling babies for.)
Anyways, I need all the info I can get - because everyone I talk to can't tell me a thing about breeding... And care-sheets only Vaguely cover breeding, but go into No detail what-so-ever.

I've read about general care for the animal, but I'd like personal experience and knowledge, and it would just be awesome any of you could share all you know with me.
If it would be easier to answer specific questions, I can make them if you let me know. (I had some, but can't think of them right now, so I'm just making it generally for now.)

Well, I currently have a migrain and so I'm sounding really stupid right now and rambly, so I'm just going to go eat my dinner now...
So, thank you in advance.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
angie.h
Hi Lisa...I currently own one fire skink,I also think they are beautiful. About 12 years ago I had a breeding pair...I used to vend at many reptile shows,esp.Pitts.,Columbus and Michigan and the fire skinks were quite inexpensive. I didn't know that mine were a male+ female { they are VERY difficult to sex } but I got 2 and ended up with one of each. They never fought and I never saw breeding but found about 6 eggs under a piece of slate with mom curled around them I used peat moss as a substrate...cage had basking log and rock.I've read that people use ECO-earth and repti-bark mixed. They had a basking spot of about 85 degrees and I kept the peat moist by pouring water in daily. They love to eat...big earthworms,night-crawlers crickets,superworms...some banana and you can try different mashed vegetable. High quality cat food can be used...I wouldnt use too much,though. The eggs all hatched and babies { eggs incubated in with my bearded dragon;s eggs,around 82 degrees } were BEAUTIFUL,shiny as anything and with blue tails. They ate same as mom and dad except in miniature. Hope this helps !!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
angie.h
I forgot to mention,mine will eat cooked egg,too.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
LoveOfTheFox
I didn't realize anyone replied...sorry. Thank you for the info!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!