Substrate for an Argentine B&W Tegu. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Luis alvarado
Substrate for an Argentine B&W Tegu.

I live in Louisiana and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in finding good substrate for a Tegu? I've read that cypress mulch is highly recommend. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
hhmoore
This has been moved to the Tegu Discussion forum.....

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Tobys_girl
Cypress Mulch is very commonly used and very commonly recommended by very experienced keepers and breeders.

You should show concern to ensure your Tegu does not eat any mulch that could cause impaction (intestinal blockage). This is true for any mulch though. The simplest way to deal with this concern is to feed them in an external feeding bin with no substrate. We personally feed in the main enclosure but on a large flat "rock" that is substrate free.

People often keep young Tegus on Coco fiber as it is much much smaller and less of a risk of causing impaction.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Luis alvarado
Thanks for the info!! I look forward to watching it grow. How old should they be to tell the sex?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Tobys_girl
Around the middle of the second summer the average keeper should be able to tell the gender. Some breeders can very accurately sex them at a couple of weeks old but I have no clue how they tell.

The best way for us regular folk to sex them is to feel on either side of their cloaca (butt). Males will have what feels like a bb on either side. Females will not. I'll give you two guesses as to what these little balls are... :P

I suspected my male to be a female based on random speculation and guestimate comparisons. When he woke up from hibernation after his first winter I could not feel the little bb's. By mid summer I could. Around the same time he just started to develop fat jowls. At the end of summer his jowls were noticeable but not huge. Now, half way through his third summer, his big fat male Tegu jowls are unmistakable.

Their first summer they are tiny and adorable. Mine was around 16" when he went into hibernation...

Holy smokes! I couldn't believe how fast he grew his second summer. He went from 18" (May) to 40" (October) that summer putting on literally 1.5" per week for several weeks in a row.

This summer he hasn't been growing much in length (currently 46") but wow is he putting on weight. I haven't kept an accurate weight reading as he grows but he a bit over 9 lbs (4 kg or 4,000 g).

The best part though, he's sweet as honey. He hasn't once bitten anyone. My 6 year old niece can walk right up, scoop him up and play with him (her little friends think she's so tough when she does). He gets a bit of an attitude when it's time to come back in after free roaming in the yard, but besides that he's nothing but a big ole sweety.

I am firmly convinced that the keys are frequent (daily) human interaction coupled with a proper environment. I am thoroughly convinced that when kept in tight quarters the animal is constantly stressed which results in being constantly edgy. Aren't you a bit irritable when you are stressed? I know I am.

It's tough to supply them with a big enough enclosure, but if you can, I would recommend Tegus to anyone interested in reptiles. Mine is in an 8' x 3' @ 3.5' tall enclosure and spends several hours most days on a 10' x 6' outdoor balcony. He's spoiled rotten :P

PS - Written by Toby...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Luis alvarado
It's almost scary as to how fast they grow. I plan on building a 8x4x4 enclosure this weekend. I was reading that it's not a good idea to place them in a large enclosure when there still young. Mine is around 16in long right now. Should I section off the enclosure??

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
Tobys_girl
I've heard that theory but I don't believe it...

I believe decor makes all the difference in the world. If the tank is 8' x 4' with nothing in it but mulch and a water bowl, the little guy will probably feel quite vulnerable and will be stressed.

But if he has a log or two, a few rocks, a couple hides... then I think he will absolutely love the 8' x 4' even as a hatchling.

I kept mine as a baby (I got him at 6 weeks old) in a 4' x 2' with a couple potted plants, a rock stack and a piece of driftwood. He did great. When mine was not much bigger than yours I put the same 4' x 2' cage on a 10' x 6' balcony/deck and left the cage open 24/7. Again the deck had plenty of 'decor' to allow him a few different safe areas along with plenty of space to move about.

Although, unless/until your Tegu actually wants to be handled/picked up... a 4' x 8' might make that part pretty difficult...

Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
Luis alvarado
Thanks for all the valuable info I've been getting. I believe ignorance is definitely not bliss when it comes to proper care of any pet!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Luis alvarado
What kind of live plants would be safe to put in my tegu tank??

Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Tobys_girl
You'll have to do your homework on that one. Keep in mind Tegus will eat plant matter.

My suggestion is to shop locally and see what's available that you like the look of. Then copy down the latin name and google it.

The next step is to find a way protect it from the Tegu as they surely like to dig up plants. I'm currently toying with the idea now of building a wire mesh cage around the root ball and planting it. I may also build a sealed (with Drylok) wooden box with drain holes in the bottom to serve as the planter and put dowel rods in the top to keep the Tegu out. It's a game of trial and error...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!