Cage Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Bearded Dragons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
cashew
Cage Questions

Hello,

I am going to be a first-time beardie owner soon. I want to provide an excellent home for my beardie, but I don't have an unlimited budget. I have about $500 budgeted for the enclosure, but I could spend a little more if it is worth it.

I've looked at Sunshine Cages and Custome Cages.

What cages/set ups work the best as a practical matter? Please give me any advice that would make beardie happy or make maintenance easier. I do want the enclosure to be atractive, and I don't like the look of Vision Cages. I want something that looks more like furniture.

What is flexwatt tape and is it a good idea or bad idea?

Is 4'x2'x2' a good size for one beardie? What length and and how many flourescent fixtures do you recommend? If the tank comes with an 18" fixture, it seems like I should add another to it. Plus I could rotate my bulb purchases so that I always have a fresh light.
Also, what is the optimum lighting for that size of cage in order to maintain the best color in my dragon. I will spend extra if it will enhance my dragon's color as well. Is there such thing as too much light for the dragon's health?

What about heat emitters. Should I use the porcelain fixtures or bulbs? What wattage for that size cage?

Are sliding doors or hinged doors better?

Should I spend more to have side windows (custom cages only) for beardie to see out, or do they prefer solid sides?

What about basking shelves? Should I add a shelf? Create one myself?

WHat are the best temp control devices?

I would like info on anything that will make the cage safer or better for my beardie's health. I'm also interested in things to make my job easier.

How do you single beardie owners maintain food supplies? Do you breed crickets/worms?

Sorry for all the questions. I have read info on many of these questions but there seem to be plenty of differing opinions. I'd love to hear yours!

Thanks,
Cashew
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
cashew
Sunshine Cages

I have had excellent communication with Sam at Sunshine Cages and he has a cage that is built specifically for beardies. This is what he wrote:

"The cage size is 42"Lx24"Dx15"H and comes with either sliding doors or hinged door (recommended), A double bulb 24" flourescent fixture, and 2 porcelain incandescent fixtures. That will cover all of your beardie needs as far as lighting and heating. The cage is only $245 plus shipping and is being used by about 30 bearded dragon breeders now and they have had unbelievable results. The bulbs are the perfect distance away from the animal so they get the proper elements from the UVB and Full Spectrum bulbs."

Any comments on this? I think this is the cage I am leaning towards right now. Sam said he also makes stands with doors for storage. This would be perfect.
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
JaskiDragons
yah that is a fine size for one beardie. i have done a lot of work with custom cages adn they do a fine job i highly recommend them, their cages are by far the best adn they are durrable adn you wont find a better cage!!

Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
HerpHabitations
I have the perfect solution

I have three Bearded Dragons myself and I keep them in a 4x4x2.5 foot enclousure. I built it myself a couple of years ago and have since founded my own company, Herp Habitions. The specs for the cage you were suggesting would be good. I would suggest a wood frame (you want it to be more like furniture) and screen sides with an acrylic (plexiglass) or screen font. My Bearded Dragons love to climb, that is why I would suggest screen sides. I can build it with either sliding doors or hinged ones. I can build you a very nice cage for well under 500$ I will also garentee that you are happy with the cage or I will alter it until it is perdfect. All the cages that I build are GARENTEED FOR LIFE to be free from defects. E-mail me at coolgeco1@yahoo.com if you are interested. Bearded Dragons are great and I want yours to have a nice home!

Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
lostathome69
Jnsdragons

JnsDragons.Biz has great cages that are quite large and cheap. Check them out. Jummy and shannon are very good about any qwuestions with dragons and cages.

Just putting my 2 cents in.

Thansk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread