Mating with yellow sliders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Roscoe09
Mating with yellow sliders

I have two yellow sliders. One female and a male. They are both relatively the same age (1 1/2 years old). The male just started to flutter his claws at the female. 30 minutes later the female started doing it back. Does this mean she’s accepted him? Is it possible for them to mate at one and a half years old? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
I have two yellow sliders
I assume you mean Trachemys scripta scripta .

Quote:
One female and a male.
Again, I am assuming, that is based off of the following criteria: tail length, thickness at the base of the tail, and behavior?

Quote:
They are both relatively the same age (1 1/2 years old).
I was under the impression that it depends more on the relative size of the specimen(s) then the age. I.E.: the female should be at LEAST four (4) to five (5) inches before breeding. However, I could be completely wrong.

Quote:
The male just started to flutter his claws at the female. 30 minutes later the female started doing it back. Does this mean she’s accepted him?
I know that behavior is far more common in males then females. However, I have seen females do it. So, I guess, that means that the female has accepted him. I have never thought of it or "looked at it" in that fashion.

Quote:
Is it possible for them to mate at one and a half years old? Thanks.
I have seen way younger/smaller specimens try and breed. I assume you mean reproduce. Which is a completely different matter. Breeding with aquatic turtles is not only based on age but physical size. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Roscoe09
Yes yellow bellied sliders. The female (larger, short claws, short tail) is about 6-7 inches. The male (smaller, long claws, long tail) is roughly 4 inches. I assumed they wouldn’t be able to reproduce at this age/size, but I know what that makes me. Thanks again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!