National Television Program Allowed to Break Animal Cruelty Laws? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
dustinntech
National Television Program Allowed to Break Animal Cruelty Laws?

It has become pretty publicized that Fear Factor on NBC aired an episode called "Snake Bite" where the contestants were biting Pythons and Boas and putting them in a different container.

Not only are they causing physical harm by biting the snakes, the snakes were cooled so they were slower and not aggressive towards the contestants.

The laws obviously broken were:
West's Ann. Cal. Civ. Code § 3340 - Exemplary damages may be given for injuries to animals committed in disregard of humanity either willfully or through gross negligence.

West's Ann. Cal. Penal Code § 597 - This statutes states that anyone who maliciously and intentionally maims, mutilates, tortures, or wounds a living animal, or maliciously and intentionally kills an animal, is guilty of an offense punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($ 20,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment, or, alternatively, by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($ 20,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment. The statute also defines specific forms of torture and mistreatment that qualifies as a crime under this section.

While none of these fines would really affect the pocket books of NBC, something should definitely be done in order to prevent any future abuse inflicted to animals by any TV show for the entertainment of the public!

I have started this petition that gives you the NBC email as well as a link to the SPCA website and phone number where you can report the incident! This should not go unnoticed!

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...rmless-animals

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I didn't know Fear Factor was even still on the air?

I liked that show back in the day but never liked the way they treated any of the animals.

Biting a snake can cause a lot of damage, a (drunk) man bit down on a snake around here recently, I saw the photos in the newspaper and the ball python required stiches, it was pretty nasty looking
(no photos at the link - http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/0...59126720110903 )

Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Double B Reptiles
Petition signed. That behavior is simply intolerable. I hope they get a nice little slap across the face for that. I've got an idea... lets have them jump into an aquarium with an adult great white, and see how they like being bitten in their mid-section by something 10 times their size.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
dustinntech
If you can call the Los Angeles SPCA and report it as an animal cruelty incident, 1-800-540-SPCA (7722)

If you can't make a call at least fill out the online report form http://spcala.com/aps/animalcrueltyform.php

Either one of those shouldn't take much and the spcaLA is who needs to be made aware of this.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
dustinntech
I was just contacted by the SPCA in Los Angeles and they are looking in to it

Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
I always enjoyed watching the stunts in that show, but I never cared for the 'gross' aspects or the animal abuse. I remember one episode had the contestants biting electric eels to bring them from one tank to another. Kinda disturbing to watch and most people wouldn't tolerate it if they had to bite puppies.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Serpents Lair
I saw this episode. At first when I saw the big thing of snakes, I told my husband "I'd deffinetly be the first one in the box!" LOL But then when I heard and saw what they were doing... I think my mouth dropped, and I cussed through the entire stunt. The goal was to get the most weight in another box, in X amount of time. So they were rushing as fast as they could, and trying to bite the biggest snakes they could to move them. No care whatsoever was put into the snakes being moved, or not biting them, by these people who were disgusted and terrified of the snakes. I was just discusted with the whole stunt. I love Fear Factor. But that deffinetly made me have a whole new feeling for the show after that. It was horrible.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Cat_72
I know that NBC's response to this was mainly that they fit the contestants with some sort of mouth-guard to "prevent injury" to the snakes from the contestant's teeth....and that "almost all of the snakes ate only days after this, so they must be fine and not even stressed" sort of thing.

Let me see them try to do the same show, but give the contestants a big bin stuffed full of little fluffy puppies and playful kittens, and see how much outcry there would be then....oh yeah, but puppies and kitties would scream in pain and fear, which would drown out the noises of disgust made by the contestants. That just wouldn't work.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Serpents Lair
I have this episode still taped on my DVR. Going to go back and watch and see if I see any form of "mouth guard" because I sure didn't notice any! Despite a mouth guard, if there even was one, a good degree of pressure would be needed to clamp down on these guys to move them with peoples teeth. I agree! If it has been puppies, kittens, or anything else that could cry out in pain, there would had been an out cry. The snakes ate. Woop! People in hospitals that are injured eat all the time! X( They didn't make any points there...

Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
joshcosta56
Signed. This is garbage, NBC needs to pay, and be stopped!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!