S373 Amended Today to 9 Large snakes from list - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #31
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakaraGT4 View Post
I wonder if we can personally visit our reps?
They should be home for christmas break, I'll be hounding mine in person for sure.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #32
repti-racks
bill

The orignal bill was for all pythons from my understanding and they were pushing for boas too but it was amended (rewritten) today to just be those 9 snakes below including the Boa. It dosnt say whether on Boas it includes all but to my believe itss just the large boas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Switzer View Post
Can someone clarify something for me. They stated that they amended 9 large species to the bill. Now is this just Included with the entire python species or is this limited to these 9 species?
Thanks
Kevin

Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #33
repti-racks
Here is what USARK twittered out to people

USARK S373 limited to the 9 only. Still completely unacceptable! Will post language of ammendment tonight

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #34
Shadera
Reposting here for the folks who might not catch it on the other thread.

Andrew Wyatt, President of USARK, will be giving an emergency update tonight on Reptile Radio, 12am EST. If you can't tune in live, they always have it up to listen to later as well. For those who are unsure what to do next, this might give you some direction. We need to fight harder now than we ever have before, and fight together.

From Larry, one of the hosts of the show:

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Andrew Wyatt president of USARK and he is going to give us an emergency update tonight on Reptile Radio concerning s373.

He's willing to do a full Q&A so if you have questions, please email them to us at reptileradio@inbox.com or call-in live during the program tonight.

Call-in number 347.215.8611

Time: 12:00am (est)

Where: www.blogtalkradio.com/reptileradio

Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #35
repti-racks
Has anyone seen this, i got it in an e-mail about someone who released burms in FL to help with the Bill Passing

To whom it may concern.

I am looking for commitments to a reward leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s ) that released the Burmese python(s) in Tampa , Florida this past week this week
I have a commitment of 1000 from Ballroom Pythons south and 1000 from Reptile Industries to start it off and a commitment from FWC law enforcement to distribute flyers and information to the area to search for the offenders.
It is my and other industry professionals belief that this animal (s) were released not buy a pet owner but by a criminal with intent to further the legislation of banning large constrictors in the US .
Any commitment must be liquid so that it can be aid in the event that an arrest and conviction takes place so do not commit to it if you can not follow through. We will only be paying the reward if they catch the perps and convict them of Florida Wildlife Comission (FWC) Reptile of Concern violations including but not limited to the escape or release and illegal keeping and housing non licensed ROC , non microchipped ROC over 2 inches in diameter and all the other ROC rules, including possible federal lacey act violations if the animal was illegally brought into the state We are trying to raise enough money to make sure that whomever knows about the snakes release or escape comes foreword to claim their reward and to send a message that the reptile industry will not tolerate the release of non- native species .
We will be sending or commitment letter and numbers to FWC at noon on 12-11-09
We appreciate any commitment to saving our industry that you can manage.
Please send commitment letters to Michael Cole
ballroom @tampabay.rr.com
and I will be the liaison to the FWC Major in charge

Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #36
Kevin Switzer
Thanks Steve,
Yeah this bill really makes no sense in solving the problem at hand in FL. Not allowing these animals to be shipped will not help clear up the problem. The original bill I was even more outraged with. Pythons? Harmless Ball pythons? I just hope it is limited to those 9 and what I mean is they dont try to branch outward into other snakes before passing.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #37
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Switzer View Post
Thanks Steve,
Yeah this bill really makes no sense in solving the problem at hand in FL. Not allowing these animals to be shipped will not help clear up the problem. The original bill I was even more outraged with. Pythons? Harmless Ball pythons? I just hope it is limited to those 9 and what I mean is they dont try to branch outward into other snakes before passing.

Branch BACK out you mean. They just tried to include all pythons and I have no doubt they'll try again.

This started with them just going after the 'Big Three' burms, retics and african rock pythons (i think not sure on the last one) then it was the Big 4, then 5, then all pythons and boas, now it's 9.

I was fighting before my boas hit the list. Even if your snake isn't targeted yet, or just dodged the bullet, please don't stop fighting.

They want ALL our snakes gone.

and skinned apparently.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #38
Kevin Switzer
Oh I could not agree more. I believe they just want to go inch by inch back up until all pythons and boas are on the chopping block unless we stay on this.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #39
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by repti-racks View Post
Has anyone seen this, i got it in an e-mail about someone who released burms in FL to help with the Bill Passing

We appreciate any commitment to saving our industry that you can manage.
Please send commitment letters to Michael Cole
ballroom @tampabay.rr.com
and I will be the liaison to the FWC Major in charge
I haven't heard this until now. I'll go look at their site.

It's funny how they found those burms but my grandparents, aunts and cousins used to vacation down there a couple months for years and all they could find (non native) was iguanas and other lizardy things.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #40
Bill & Amy
I believe the way it is written the following boas would be affected..

Quote:
B. c. amarali - Stull, 1932 Amaral's boa Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay[26]
B. c. constrictor - Linnaeus, 1758 Red-tailed boa South America[26]
B. c. imperator - Daudin, 1803 Common northern boa Central America and northern South America[26]
B. c. longicauda - Price & Russo, 1991 Tumbes Peru boa Northern Peru[26]
B. c. melanogaster - Langhammer, 1983 Ecuadorian boa Ecuador[27]
B. c. nebulosa - (Lazell, 1964) Dominican clouded boa Dominica[26]
B. c. occidentalis - Philippi, 1873 Argentine boa Argentina and Paraguay[26]
B. c. orophias - Linnaeus, 1758 St. Lucia boa St. Lucia[26]
B. c. ortonii - Cope, 1878 Orton's boa South America[26]
B. c. sabogae - (Barbour, 1906) Pearl Island boa "Pearl Islands" off the coast of Panama

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!