WTH Rich! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
SPJ
WTH Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I tend to release anything that is not doing well in captivity, or perhaps just has some minor kinks that don't make it a candidate for the freezer. That is a benefit of living within the natural range of the corn snake.

Quite honestly, come January when everything has to be out of here, anything that has not been sold will probably just be released. Since I have killed off the mouse colony, there won't be many other options at that point when they need to come out of brumation.

Should make for some interesting walks around the property years from now. The good thing about that is that maybe they will clear out the rodent population around here that has been getting into my vehicles nesting and chewing up on wiring harnesses.
Why? This is not a good thing!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Fireproof
Seems like offering them up for adoption for free to fellow herpers would be a better choice...

Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
Seems like offering them up for adoption for free to fellow herpers would be a better choice...
WHY?

If those "fellow herpers" don't have the money to BUY why should he consider giving them away free?...just asking.

If as he said, he lives in the Corn snakes' natural range, I don't see anything wrong with releasing them if they are going to thrive and be free. It's not like they will die a slow painful death by being released?

*as long as it's legal to release them

Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Fireproof
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
WHY?

If those "fellow herpers" don't have the money to BUY why should he consider giving them away free?...just asking.

If as he said, he lives in the Corn snakes' natural range, I don't see anything wrong with releasing them if they are going to thrive and be free. It's not like they will die a slow painful death by being released?

*as long as it's legal to release them

I dunno - I guess it's that time of the year when my mind turns to those less fortunate. Certainly it would not be wise to give a snake to someone who doesn't have the means to care for it properly. But, I would imagine there might be some that can't justify a new snake purchase right now, but could easily feed and care for an extra one.

As an example, I have a nice rack with 3 empty tubs. I buy frozen rodents in bulk to feed my snakes. Right now I can't really justify paying $50-100 for a new snake, but if someone couldn't care for one, it would be easy to take one in.

Plus - many states have an issue with releasing captive animals back into the wild.

Oh, and if they are color morphs - there's a reason you tend to not see those in the wild - albinos and candy canes, etc, tend to be targets for prey as they don't have their natural camouflage colors.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
JordanAng420
I agree with Deborah...

I don't really see a problem with it seeing as how he states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That is a benefit of living within the natural range of the corn snake.
If they run wild where he lives, and they're not being devistatingly destructive to the environment, it isn't a bad idea if you can't find an adoptee. I'm sure the snakes appreciate it more than the freezer option. JMO.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
SPJ
You do not release captive snakes into the wild.
PERIOD!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
SPJ
It's bad enough that the government and the average person thinks we all release snakes into the wild in Florida and now this!
More ammunition to ban the ownership of snakes!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
You do not release captive snakes into the wild.
PERIOD!
(I don't know the laws in his area)...If it's legal .. you have a moral perspective, perhaps? Morally, I would agree with you.

However, if the snakes are native to the environment and it's not against the law, I see no problem. Their only other option is to be killed, because I doubt that anyone is going to be pressured into giving what they worked for away for free.

I hate getting into legal vs moral discussions. If it's cut and dried ILLEGAL then I would have to agree.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
It's bad enough that the government and the average person thinks we all release snakes into the wild in Florida and now this!
More ammunition to ban the ownership of snakes!
Actually for all exotic pets.......Just giving them ammo for a future HR669 to ban all species not native to the US. Just giving them proof that people release their pets into the wild when they don't benefit them anymore......

Old 12-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Fireproof
I agree with Bill and SPJ.

A) It could very well be illegal in his state.
B) Even if it's not illegal, it is more "proof" that people release snakes in the wild, adding fuel to the python & boa ban case, making us look irresponsible.
C) Releasing them, just because no one will "buy them" is irresponsible ownership. If you have to get rid of a dog are you just going to let it go? Responsible pet owners just don't do this...let alone breeders.
D) No one can predict the ramifications of the ecosystem where they are released.

Regarding D above, this article has some interesting considerations. It's not as simple as "well, they are in their native climate...":
http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/nanfamay02/0324.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread