Duck/goose hybrid? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Bringerofdoom
Duck/goose hybrid?

Ok i was at a park today out walking with my G/F and we seen a bunch of canadian geese an mallards out togather. All of a sudden one caught my eye. It was a bizaare looking goose. IT had the head colorization of a mallard the black small bill of a good the neck and body of a canadian goose and a BIG white patch on its neck. I dont know if it was a hybrid or some other goose i have never seen. There was only one that looked like it in about 100 that was on the ground that day.

I used to work training hunting dogs when i was younger and i have seen tons of game birds, but i never ever seen one like that.

I'm going to find a picture of a canadian goose to show what i seen. To think a person like me with all the camera's i have, had none on me when i seen it.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Bringerofdoom
Edit: black small bill of a goose

Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Bringerofdoom

I swear thats what it looked like

Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Bringerofdoom
Cmon, people please tell me i am not insane and there is some kinda goose out there i just did not know about...

Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
connorrm
Rouens are colored like mallards but can weigh like 12-15 pounds

Old 04-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Bringerofdoom
hmmmmm maybe this is it?
Found this at a website. They are called a blue swedish.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
MGReptiles
Mike you see things like that when you puff on the dragon...lol..

Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
Cat_72
There are blue swedish, black sewdish, and a pastel swedish. I've seen crosses of the colors that would look a lot like you described. The black swedes will still show some of the greenish coloration on the heads of the drakes if you see them in the right light. It could also have been something like a Rouen or Mallard crossed with a Swede.

I've raised domestic Canada geese together with ducks for YEARS....as did my folks. Geese do NOT mate with ducks. LOL.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
DAND
Did the Duck goose the Goose or did the Goose goose the Duck?

It's like the age old question about the Chicken and the Egg; Which came first the Duck of the Goose?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Cat_72

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!