Bad Guy Beware of Robert Sloan - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Snake B0y
Beware of Robert Sloan

So I would watch your dealings with Robert Sloan. Asked for a deposit on some Animas in the form of a money order which I did and mailed to him. Apparently I made an honest mistake and sent the wrong type of money order and he has been nothing but a complete dick about it. All I asked was for him to help me get the check cancelled so I could send another form of payment and he is intentionally making it as difficult as possible to get my money back. NOTE* I am aware dozens of other people have been scammed by Robert at this point and he continues to verbally attack me.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Snake B0y
I have many more screenshots of this conversation but the site would not allow me to upload them

Old 05-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
bcr229
You can only put four attachments in a post.

Also did he specify a USPS MO rather than one from a bank? If so I can see where he would be upset as bank money orders are often forged by scammers. That in no way excuses his behavior though, he could just mail it back and have you send a USPS MO as he requested.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
PLynch
This guy has been scamming for years under numerous names. You can do a google or criminal check to see the various complaints lodged against him. I hope you have about an hour to read them, there are quite a few.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
When you received the money order you should have gotten a copy or stub for yourself. Go back to the bank with it and stop payment on it. The reason he asks for USPS money orders is because you can cash them at a Post Office. Sloan undoubtedly doesn't have a checking account due to years of criminal and scamming activity. If you are smart, you will handle it through your bank and walk away from this transaction.

On another note, I sincerely hope you discovered Sloan's criminal and scamming history after you sent the money. If you were stupid enough to deal with him knowing his past up front, then you deserve anything you get.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
tlmoon
All other things aside, he sounds like a jerk and one to be avoided. Mistakes happen, you didn't understand about the USPS money order...he doesn't have to be so rude. But, it's probably a blessing in disguise, because it sounds like he's not someone you would want to deal with anyway. I would do whatever you need to so you aren't out the $250, consider it a lesson learned, and move on.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Black Adder
It sounds like you obtained a cashiers check from your bank and not the usps money order me sloan appears to have insisted on ( have not seen initial communication so do not know if that was truly the case here)
However if you did get a cashiers check issued by your bank it is as simple as going back to your bank this morning with your part of the issued check and just asking them nicely to cancel it, you can tell them why, may help them to understand
I am sure they will charge you a nominal cancellation fee, depending on institution could be $15 to $35 or so, but better than losing the whole $250.

It does sound like mr sloan may not have a bank account to cash this which would also explain his tirade, although GENUINE sellers are also sometimes leary of bank checks as these are pretty easily forged and I know people who have been burned this way.

Either way go to your bank asap and try to have them cancel

Good luck

Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
markpulawski
If he was keeping the MO and telling you to send him $250 Western Union he likely was trying to get $500 out of you before you realized it was a scam. Go to your bank TODAY and tell them about what happened and hopefully they will cancel for a small fee.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Keith Northrop
Still at it a decade later!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
dusklight
Dilen, any news? Have you spoken with your bank?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!