Repcal Pellets - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
GottaLuvHerps
Repcal Pellets

Ok, I have started to supplement the diet of all my dragons with the RepCal pellets, including the babies. I have to say I am seeing a marked improvement in every way - appetite, color, size, growth rate, etc. And it seems that it is not too hard to get them onto the pellets either, which surprised me with the adults that have never seen them. Basically, I just soak them in water for a few minutes until they are mushy, and put them in the cage.
I have found that giving greens first thing in the morning, pellets in the afternoon and crickets in the evening for the babies has worked well, AND I'm going through less crickets! For the adults I just mix the pellets with the greens in the morning and then give more pellets in the afternoon.
The only thing I need to find out is where to get this stuff in bulk at decent prices. I can find 35lb bags online, but at $95 each (lllreptile). Anyone have a hookup?
Also, anyone else having success or failure with pellets, or know of one that might be better?
Kelly

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
midnight_962002
I have never gotten my dragons to eat pellets. But, I haven't tried it on the babies. Maybe I should cause I am going through a ton of crickets, roaches, worms, etc. that would help a ton!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
prater
iv found the best way to start dragons on pellets it to soak them as he said but in order to get babies to eat i just drop in the cage in front of them and kinda just sprinkel them around the movement catches their eye and bam after a few days i replace that method w a bowl and sprinkel it into bowl in front of them so they know where it is and wala babys that eat pellets .
gl guys

Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
citruslover
wow. I've never had any luck with pellets but I'm almost tempted to try again.
Growing dragons are such cricket black holes.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
GottaLuvHerps
I had never tried the pellets before, and I actually bought the bottle of juvi pellets because they were on sale and said "what the hell" to the deal. So far, the babies are doing well on them, and the adults are about half and half. I have one big girl (my gravid girl) who will eat just about anything that has color, and my one male (daddy to most of my dragons) who is chowing on them, but the others kind of look at them sideways and eat a few here and there.
I am still trying to find a good hookup for bulk food, as having 13 "big" dragons and 19 babies, I go through a LOT of food no matter how you look at it.
And I have decided that they need to make pellets that are good for leopard geckos too. Just a general comment. Then I could stop going through about 1000 mealworms a week for the 13 of them....

Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Valley Dragons
I love RepCal pellets. All of my dragons are now almost exclusively on pellets. I start my hatchlings on pellets immediately. Most are taking pellets very well by the time they are ready to sell at 6 weeks old. Many people find this to be very convenient to have a dragon that could be fed exclusively on pellets. It just makes keeping dragons as pets that much easier. I've dealt with many people who would love to keep a dragon, but HATE the thought of dealing with feeder bugs. I've been very happy with the health and growth rates of my dragons while on pellets. And pellets don't get out and crawl into your bedroom at night...lol.

Jamie

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Valley Dragons
As far as getting babies started on pellets...all you need is one or two dragons to decide to eat pellets. Then you use those dragons as "trainers" for all your other babies. I rotate establised pellet eaters into my new baby bins. The slightly older babies go after the pellets...and the younger babies learn very quickly from them that the pellets are food. Another dragon can teach a dragon much faster than you can teach a dragon, lol.

Jamie

Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Beardiepal
Boy would I love for my dragons to go for them...I have tried with the adults but it was a no go. Perhaps as babies they would learn to love them...I will try them on my babes...Beth

Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
ntfish
My babies don't seem to relish the pellets as much as my juvies or adults. I have also found that the yellow pellets are usually the last to be eaten. They seem to prefer the green ones over the red, also. I would guess that beardies see in color.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
GottaLuvHerps
I have some dragons that will ONLY touch the green, some that will ONLY go for the brown, and some that just don't care. I do think they can see color, but I think it also goes along with taste, who knows? I don't know if each color has a certain taste or not, and I am not willing to find out on my own LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!