pregnant problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
bullfrog100000
pregnant problems

Didn't know how else to title this one..
An acquaintance has a beardie pair. Apparently female had first eggs at about 8 months old. And weighed only about 245 gms. I thought that was light for carrying eggs? Gained just under 30gms during. back to the 245 now. She says they think she's just small for her age maybe the runt. She says the beardie hasn't shed in the 4 months since she had her first eggs. She's asking does shedding have to do w/ weight gain only? I didn't think it did. Mine all shed regularly and they are full grown. She says the repeated egg laying (Non viable) And really since the first batch that beardie has not been at all as energetic just seems worn out etc. It seems she's feeding her well . I know they go through eating not eating during the cycle of the eggs developing etc. Mine is hungry most of the time, but for a while before each non drop she doesn't want much of anything. I think its normal. Of course afterwords she's ravenous again. But I guess her's is not and just not too hungry period on top of being wiped out all the time. I'm wondering if this is something obvious to anyone. Or if she's too small, or if this beardie just doesn't handle it well as an individual. The owner is considering spaying her due to the obvious toll its all taking on her beardie. Couple things. I'm not clear at this moment if the pair are being kept together, If so I think then that he will try endlessly and she will be exhausted til death! But if the other reason for spaying her is so they can live together,my question there is,,,Just because she's spayed will that mean he will stop his efforts and or aggressive behaviors w/ the female?
I've got books packed everywhere so can't do any research that way and my time is beyond wrong right now , I have my thoughts about some of it but am not an expert and would like to hear from others w/ more experience . Question I have I've not gotten clear answers to this. My female mated one time w/ "romeo" had a great viable batch of eggs. She was immediatly removed to her own cage and remaind so. I know its normal for her to continue to have several more clutches after that. She has basically had a drop about every month since september. QUESTION>> if she is not in w/ male no further mating has occured and will not, how much longer can she continue to have eggs? I've read anywhere from 3 to 6 clutches after the initial mating . Then others say they can just keep doing it indefinitely?? Which is it? If indefinitely whats the thought on her future about that.

I've had green iguanas mostly before this so I know more about that. My beardies knock on wood are both healthy big piggies! And now the babies all 14 are eating me out of house and home like 15 hundred crickets every 10 days or so! So I'll be looking for homes for them in a few weeks by the way!! but yes I'll post that elswhere w/ more info. Inguiries welcome! they are big healthy babies and good lookin! Thank You !! G........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!