ID of awesome Pit at expo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Mokele
ID of awesome Pit at expo

An acquaintance of mine recently went to an expo in Chicago, and among the photos she posted is this one:

Unfortunately, she doesn't recall the name of the exhibitor or anything about the snake, so she's given me permission to post it in search of answers (I can only assume she had permission to take the photo in the first place).

Anyone know what species/locality/morph this is, and who owns it? Are any commercially available yet?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
BobOblak
Its a normal upper midwest bullsnake-an especially nice one with clear yellow ground color and very saturated black markings, but it does not really have morph status. I have seen animals like that collected from IA, IL, WI, IN, MN. No reason you could not breed for those characteristics, but those of us from those states don't usually bother due to the regulations. I have seen hatchlings offered for sale for under $50 on the various reptile classifieds sites, but as hatchlings, you cannot be sure they will look exactly like this as adults. I have not seen many of this high contrast. There is a lot of variation. I have always thought that they were the most underappreciated colubrids in the hobby.
Not rare, but you may want to find out if you can legally own/breed/sell them if you live in any state that P. catenifer sayi is indigenous to. It does not look like you live within its range.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
RyanT
I had a pair exactly like that about 10 years ago that were sold to me as Northern Pines. Confused the hell out of me as to what they really were. I ended up trading them to Evan Stahl and, as far as I was told, ended up going to Henry Rollins.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!