Viability of Shows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
dwedeking
Talking Viability of Shows

I'd like some feedback on if vendors think that shows are still a viable marketing/sales tool? I'd especially like feedback from some of the old timers who have been doing shows for a while.

I'm drastically cutting back our show schedule this year to only 2 or 3 shows. When you consider the time and effort involved in preparing and going to a show, along with the fact of reduced margins due to the competitive nature for standard animals/products I'm finding that there are other avenues that are more productive for our company. We are largely an internet based company (though we do have the new retail outlet).

I'm trying to decide if this is a short term trend or a long term trend.

Thank you,

Old 06-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
montezuma
Very tough point...
Personally, I see doing the shows quite the same as you. It is a ton of work to prep for and there is a higher overhead than if you sold over the internet (depending on how you do it of course). Not to mention it is labor intensive getting ready for shows.
As for "standard animals" as you put it, I agree that the market is tough... try leopard geckos as your main species! Thats why I go to lengths to demonstrate the proper care and spend time with each customer... the "large retailers" don't, which gives me an edge in most circumstances.
I can remember going to my 1st show as a customer, I was so thrilled that I could hardly sleep the night before. My chance to see more species than what I could see at the local reptile shop, and in a greater quantity. Not to mention I felt a bit better knowing I wasn't the only reptile freak in the world! ...This is why I will continue doing shows, so someone else can experience this feeling.
In the long run, the comradery of being with other reptile enthusiasts that come from other states or from another area of your own state that you may not see except at shows can pay off larger than just the amount of profit at the end of the show. Of course, the exposure may end up paying off a year later when someone sees you at the show and tells a friend.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
As a person who attends some shows, and buys supplies at shows, I think they are way too many or at least close together. We have two shows around here (Raleigh, NC) each year, one in May, and one in Sept. This show has become more of a freak show at times. Too many people to go see the 'creepy' reptiles, and a LOT of vendors haven't shown up at the past few shows, which makes it empty feeling. I would rather have one show a year, with a good selection of quality reptiles and products, and yes, I want them for cheap.

If I lived in CA, then if you (Scales) would only be at 2 shows, and I wanted an animal you had, that I wanted, I would wait for the show you would be at.

In short, I don't see the point in doing a ton of shows. People who want to buy from you will either order, or wait for a show you will be at.

One possible thing you could do is get a friend at shows to hand out a flyer/business card for Scales (or other business) saying you have a store at such and such location, that carries extra supplies they may want, and feeders for animals...which would hopefully get them an animal sale, and you repeat sales.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!