Info on selling hots in Pa.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
kaleidoscales
Talking Info on selling hots in Pa..

Hi I am new on the forums..I live in PA and a friend of mine has some baby western diamondbacks he is trying to find homes for. They were captive born from 2 that he owns..He has been around snakes all his life. check out his you tube video..demoutlaw16601/youtube.com. Anyway he said he needs a license to sell them In PA is that true. Also I was wondering if there are any wholesale dealers who could help out. or give info on the best way to find them homes thank you .
Meg

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
whytepizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidoscales View Post
Hi I am new on the forums..I live in PA and a friend of mine has some baby western diamondbacks he is trying to find homes for. They were captive born from 2 that he owns..He has been around snakes all his life. check out his you tube video..demoutlaw16601/youtube.com. Anyway he said he needs a license to sell them In PA is that true. Also I was wondering if there are any wholesale dealers who could help out. or give info on the best way to find them homes thank you .
Meg
You do not need a licence to sell or buy them in PA, as far as i know. My friend buys and sells Hots all the time in/at the Hamburg show. Some states have laws on how many you can own, have, treat, milk, etc. I would make sure he gives/sells the snake to someone who lives in a venemous and boid friendly state. If not he could face some charges within the other state and lose all his snakes.
check local laws too. Some states may allow it but some towns or cities may not. Like NYC doesn't allow a few pythons and boas that the rest of teh state does. Calling the local wildlife department is always the best option, or go to a taxidermy/shooting store. They are pretty knowlegable on the laws.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
bsharrah
Technically, anyone selling herps in PA are required to have a permit issued by the Dept. of Agriculture. Last I checked, the permits were $150 and good for 5 years. There is a separate permit for those who breed and sell, and those who resell. One good thing is if you pay the fee for one permit, the other is free. When I spoke to someone in the DOA office, they told me that they do not see a line between a business or hobbyist - if you sell herps, you need to have a permit(s). With that said, I doubt everyone selling a herp in PA, especially a pet they no longer want, get a permit before doing so. However, if you plan to sell them regularly, I suggest you get them.

Bart

Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
kaleidoscales
thanks for the replies...wow I didnt know anyone in Pa that sells herps needs a permit..my friend has found someone local who is taking them and they are someone who knows the laws..and educates people so all is good thank you..

Old 10-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
bsharrah
Here is the link to the thread that discusses the permits:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=101548

If this was a one time deal, I wouldn't worry about it. The permits are more for those who are more of a business and/or vend shows in PA; however, if they wanted to enforce it to the letter of the law, then it would apply to anyone selling a herp in PA. Glad to hear he was able to rehome them.

Bart

Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
kaleidoscales
Bart thanks for your reply and the thread...yeah I am glad they are going to a good home too....Happy Scales....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!