Umm... Extra eyes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Leibowem
Umm... Extra eyes?

This little guy hatched out last night with what appears to be an extra set of eyes. As of right now, I plan on just keeping him and seeing how he progresses. I have contacted a vet who says it is likely a fluid filled "sac" that they get and when the gecko gets larger they might be able to drain the sacs. Hmm.... lovely.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
lpcad
Wow, have any siblings hatched out with or without defects? Best of luck to you and your little one.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
SamanthaJane13
Aaawwwww!!

Poor little mutant!!!

It's a cutie, though.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
SamanthaJane13
What were the incubation temps like??

Can you think of any other variables that would produce this kind of birth defect?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
dragonlvr64
Erin, what a shame! Did they give advice on how to care for him in the meantime?

Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Refused Autopsy
How is the little one doing, now? I'd love to see updated pics.....

Old 07-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
bad-one
Hopefully the lil guy will eat and drink and grow! best of luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Exotic_Domestics
I dont believe its sad to see that.. Pretty cool.

In fact double headed turtles usually go for alot!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Leibowem
Hi all, just thought I would provide an update on the little guy. He is doing just fine... eating normally, no problems shedding, etc. I am not sure, but I think his "eyes" might actually be a little bit bigger now. He isn't really growing much though. The other eggs that he was incubated with all hatched out normally and are growing normally, including other eggs from the same pairing. I will try to get some new pictures of him soon.

In terms of my plans with him... I think it is unethical to sell (especially at a higher price!!) an animal that has birth defects or some kind of mutation. Something like this should not be bred and I would not want to risk selling it to someone who has the intention of breeding him/her. I plan on either keeping the gecko or (depending on the cost associated with having the sacs drained) adopting it out to someone who can keep it forever as a pet and bare the burden of the vet costs that will be incurred.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
geckogrl6
I didnt post earlier b/c my experience was with a leo, but I rescued a female with two large sacs, one just under each eye. She was able to eat on her own, and when she put enough weight on, the vet used a topical anesthesia (very cool!) and just slit them & removed the gunk. Was not super costly, maybe $100-200 for a reg ofc visit, anesthesia and meds. I was told that hers had started as fluid sacs, but before I got her, the pus had solidified, and couldnt be drained with simple syringe. But if your guy is strong enough, I'd say its worth a consult to nip/drain them now. They do still continue to recur, but they come & go within days now, never had the solidifying since, and she hasnt had to see the vet since.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!