Getting into dart frogs - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
TailsWithScales
Barry,

As my understanding, and please someone feel free to correct me if I wrong is that the only spot that wouldn't have glass would be where the light bar is located. So 1/2 to 3/4's of the top would be glass.

Also it was recommended to use live plants which really help create the perfect environment for oxygen and humidity. Also opening the enclosure will create plenty of air flow.

I think I'm for sure going to get the aqurium as it appears to yes be cheaper on initial price, most come with a glass top and the plants themselves are easy to get.

I really cannot think of anymore quests. But I'm sure that'll change with more thought.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
porkchop48
The whole top needs to be glass not just 1/2 or 3/4 of it.

With using the live plants for the oxygen exchange the tanks do not get "stale" at all. There is also enough air exchange with opening the top to feed them.

And yes the best thing to use is aquariums with a full glass top. I have mine set up on racks with using just shop lights and they do wonderful. The frogs and plants are thriving. The plants do not need any extra or special lights at all.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
bdeak9
Okay. Thanks to both of you for the help. As far as plants, can anyone recommend a source for for plant that are pesticide and fertilizer free? Oh and soil.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
TailsWithScales
I see what you're saying Kristy. I won't have the ability to have that type of setup so I would have to have a light hood with it because of where the cage is going to have to go.
I would just be concerned that the light housing might over heat or something. I will have to take a look at the way the tanks are set up when I go to purchase.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
bdeak9
So it begins. In my local classified section I see an ad for a forty gallon tank for$25.00. I call, she still has it. I say "I'll be right there". I get there, the tank is in good shape, a few water spots nothing excessive. Then she tells me that she kept baby sliders in it. Now, the first thing I think is salmonella and how am I going to clean this thing. I didn't get the tank. I was to worried about cleaning it and getting it rinsed well enough to house dart frogs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This something I don't want to rush into. These are not disposable animals and I want to provide the best non toxic environment I can for them.
Again any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Barry

Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #16
porkchop48
A light hood ( just the light section ) works just fine. I try to make sure it sits a little bit up off the glass so there is some heat exchange and it does not over heat the tank.

You can use any tropical plants from ( lowes, homedepot, online vendors, etc) just make sure you rinse all the soil off and wash and rinse the plants well. I have been doing it that way for years and have never had any problems.

As for the soil, I use a mixtures of the cocofiber ( the stuff that comes in bricks) spag moss, leaf litter, peat moss and orchid bark. You can use just the cocofiber as well.

Soaking the tank with hot water and a mild bleach solution and then rinsing the heck out og it repeatedly should work just fine. When you think you have rinsed enough rinse some more and then let it dry completely.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
bdeak9
Thanks Kristy!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
porkchop48
Leaf litter. Dont forget the leaf litter.

After you get the tank set up and planted, put down a layer of leaf litter ( sea grape, magnolia, oak, etc). The leaves offer as a way to keep the frogs directly off the dirt as well as giving a place for the microfauna ( spring tails, isopods, etc) to hide and reproduce.

Did you get to pick up the tank yet?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
TailsWithScales
I'm not sure if you're asking me directly but I'm going to answer.

I have not picked up anything as of yet. I'm waiting till I get paid and hopefully no more unplanned expenses come up.

I will make a list of all you put down as far as plants go and pick those up. Where would one get leaf litter????? I've not seen anything like that anywhere here, especially not locally. Would the leaf little be something or order online also???

There was something else I was going to ask but forgot. If I remember I shall return!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
porkchop48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
I'm not sure if you're asking me directly but I'm going to answer.

I have not picked up anything as of yet. I'm waiting till I get paid and hopefully no more unplanned expenses come up.

I will make a list of all you put down as far as plants go and pick those up. Where would one get leaf litter????? I've not seen anything like that anywhere here, especially not locally. Would the leaf little be something or order online also???

There was something else I was going to ask but forgot. If I remember I shall return!
Actually it was to both of you :-)

Leaf litter you can order on line. I do carry it on my site as well. But if you happen to have a magnolia tree in your yard you can use those too :-)

I know what you mean about unplanned expenses.... They suck .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!