Legal to keep Northern Green Frog (Rana clamitans melanota)? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
WingedSweetheart
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/...?chap=20&art=2

"That all fish, frogs and other aquatic life in privately-owned ponds are, and shall remain, the private property of the owner or owners of such privately-owned ponds, and that such fish, frogs and other aquatic life in such privately-owned ponds may be caught, taken or killed by such owner or owners at any time."

Well that seems to answer my original question. Since the frog came from my pond, according to this then it is my property.

From what I've read so far it just says, "wild animals, wild birds, both migratory and resident, and all fish, amphibians, and all forms of aquatic life." I haven't seen anything at all about reptiles. Lot of stuff about hunting in there. It's all very confusing to me.

But like I said, I bought four out of five of my snakes from pet shops. So how is it illegal for me to have bought them but not for them to have sold them to me in the first place? Anyone can go in and buy any animal in the store. No questions asked. I didn't just buy from one store either.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
WingedSweetheart
I emailed the DNR about the snake question. I hope they reply!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
I mean how would it be legal for pet shops to sell those snakes to people if you need a permit to own them?

I have five snakes. Four of them came from various pet shops around here (including the big chain stores). Only one came from a breeder in South Carolina.
It's the people's responsibility, not the pet shops.

I don't agree with the laws either, but the laws say if you have a species that is native, you have t have a permit, no matter where it came from. I would think you would only need one if it was field collected, but nope.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
I emailed the DNR about the snake question. I hope they reply!
That's how I found it out. A couple of years ago, I went to my local station and sat down and just talked to him for about 2 hours, because I couldn't understand what was online.

And that's how he explained it to me. But also, the DNR around here don't have their stuff together, lol, so let me know what they say in their reply.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
WingedSweetheart
I will if they ever reply lol. In the mean time how do I go about getting a permit. I would hate to have my snakes taken away from me. Though I know of tons of other people who have bought pet store snakes and have no idea about the permit (like me). So I guess they don't seem to care to enforce it.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
WingedSweetheart
Yea! I finally got a reply from the DNR! My snakes are legal and its only illegal to collect them from the wild without a permit (which I'm not interested in doing).

" Thanks for contacting us regarding purchasing and owning snakes. In West Virginia it is legal to own snakes that were purchased from reputable,licensed pet stores and you don’t need a permit. These stores have the necessary permits to sell snakes. The snakes sold in pet stores are all born in captivity and none were taken from the wild. It is illegal to have in your procession any snakes that were taken from the wild without having the necessary permits. It is also illegal to catch native snakes then try to sell them. We also do not want people releasing any snakes that were purchased in pet stores. This can spread diseases and compromise their genetic make-up. Hope this clears things up and if you have any other questions,please let us know.

Jim Fregonara
WVDNR Wildlife Resources
Section Wildlife Diversity Program
phone: 304-637-0245
fax: 304-637-0250
email: Jim.M.Fregonara@wv.gov"

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
Ed Clark
Good to see you will not become a criminal for keeping herps!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Yea! I finally got a reply from the DNR! My snakes are legal and its only illegal to collect them from the wild without a permit (which I'm not interested in doing).

" Thanks for contacting us regarding purchasing and owning snakes. In West Virginia it is legal to own snakes that were purchased from reputable,licensed pet stores and you don’t need a permit. These stores have the necessary permits to sell snakes. The snakes sold in pet stores are all born in captivity and none were taken from the wild. It is illegal to have in your procession any snakes that were taken from the wild without having the necessary permits. It is also illegal to catch native snakes then try to sell them. We also do not want people releasing any snakes that were purchased in pet stores. This can spread diseases and compromise their genetic make-up. Hope this clears things up and if you have any other questions,please let us know.

Jim Fregonara
WVDNR Wildlife Resources
Section Wildlife Diversity Program
phone: 304-637-0245
fax: 304-637-0250
email: Jim.M.Fregonara@wv.gov"
So my local guy made me pay $25 for a permit for nothing. lol. I don't catch local snakes either, just buy them.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
zooherper
For the time being in WV, you need to have a "pet permit" at $2 a pop for each non-game, non-aquatic animal you take from the wild for pet purposes only. To take aquatic herps, you need a fishing license (a loophole that makes WV the only state where taking hellbenders is legal ). If you want to breed your WC WV herps, you need a game farm permit at $10 per species as well as a business license. To exhibit your herps in any capacity, you need a Roadside Menagerie permit at $25. CB animals are a different animal entirely, needing no permit, but it is a wise idea to save receipts just in case you are asked to provide evidence. Further, some species, like Northern pines and corns, have not been seen in WV for so long (1976 and 1981 respectively, if memory serves) that while they are documented, they are considered extirpated. Hope that helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!