wc vs cb as it affects reptile health - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
lydiacourtney
wc vs cb as it affects reptile health

Some have not so kindly suggested I educate myself on Wild Caught vs Captive Bred reptiles both imported and captured in the US. and the relative health of the animals in either case. I am thankful for the suggestion. The following thread is a query about the positives and negatives of both, the laws regarding the breeding and sale of both, and the scientific evidence supporting the different schools of thought within this category.

My initial reaction to WC is negative, so you may note my bias, but please don't criticize it. I was highly surprised to find that it was so common. That said, I am currently trying to save a torty, and as such would like to hear more information as soon as possible about the effect of importing on Tortoise immunity and the evidence of dormant parasites which become active upon stress to the animal. My hope is to improve my own husbandry in order to protect pets and to promote group collaboration to create a body of accessible knowledge on the topic, which may help other pet owners and breeders.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Slowpoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiacourtney View Post
Some have not so kindly suggested...
You just can't help yourself, can you?
Lydia, I read your entire other thread, and I've never quite seen such a defined example of someone burying themselves so deeply. It was like watching a very horrific, slow-motion train derailment in quicksand. Toward the end it "appears" that you begin to understand that your tone is off-putting. Then I read the first line of this thread, and almost fell out of my chair. You simply cannot restrain yourself from the snarky, back-handed jabs. It's not your tone; it's your personality. It's horrible.
While your eagerness to learn how to better care for your tortoise may be genuine, comments like your first line above are simply repulsive. This thread had some 60-odd views with no responses. People on here want to help tortoises. They just don't want to help a person who can't get out of her own way, and very likely, will end up lashing out against them. Do yourself a favor, don't type the first thought that comes into your mind. It's likely patently wrong, and definitely overtly offensive.

Dave

Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
LauraB
Lydia, I directed you here from your BOI "Bad Guy" thread so you could get opinions / help on your husbandry questions along with your health concerns for your remaining tort.

Sad to see you have turned it into an WC vs CB ethics issue. Seems your band wagon is more about that WC vs CB stuff than actually getting helpful info on how to keep / help / raise a Russian you did not properly research nor get sufficient info on when you purchased, and now very unfortunately has health issues.

Before you take on the herp industry (and a seller) with those CB / WC ethical issues you have, please educate yourself on the animal you wish to purchase and at least learn how to ask pertinent questions of a breeder / seller before you purchase. An animal is not an impulsive, "OMG, Mom, I sooo love it" purchase.

Also the internet is your friend in order to further educate yourself on husbandry and care for your tort along with those federal, state laws regarding importing and exporting, and the possible health issues that ANY imported animal can likely suffer from.

I do hope your remaining tort recovers and thrives in your care.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
ljarzynka
It seams as if you have an agenda and it doesn't smell very good. If you really want info on how to provide a better life for those in your charge, I would suggest that you ask pertinent questions that might actually get a response.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Cloppy
Well, WC is cheap, but may have parasites.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Deanmckinney
First, buying a wild caught animal is irresponsible as a owner and detrimental to the wild populations and only furthering the demand to decimate and support that horrible trade. It's simply the logic of supply and demand. Once past that fact, wild caught animals are subjected to so much stress from being captured, stored like a product, sold to a dealer, introduced to other animals in holding pens and in boxes, deprived of adequate food and temps only to be shipped again to you. It's almost surprising that any animal makes it alive to the buyer and comical that someone who loves this hobby could support that. The animals always stress, have trouble adjusting and needlessly die at the hands of us needing to own them. You risk introducing disease and parasites that can decimate you existing colonies and they can lay dormant for months. There are always exceptions and sure you can find someone who says they never have had an issue with WC and can justify it but you can also find people to deny global warming, everyone has opinions. Best to stay away from WC if you can, no need to open Pandora's box and support a terrible industry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
captive bred, parasites, respiratory infection, tortoise, wild